Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: High Torque starter on sale $155
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/det...l.php?id=105487

This seems like a pretty good deal.

Paul biggrin.gif
ClayPerrine
I had the starter go bad on Betty's car. I took the one off my car and put it on hers (after all, mine doesn't need it right now). It sounds weird, but it works great, even when hot!!!

URY914
I've only heard good things about them.

Paul
avendlerdp
Will it spin a V8? That is the question. rocking nana.gif
Jeroen
Is that the same starter as this one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...Bay_Pr4_PcY_BIN
Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jul 1 2005, 06:07 AM)

Paul

I, tried one of these Hi-Torque starters, don't remember the brand, couldn't get it to fit, hit the tranny one way, hit the trunk flloor the other, and after I went another route some mentioned there are adjustable ones, that fit several different ways.

My other route was old school, SR 13 X, self supporting 6V with 12v gear $110, works great.
olav
I don't think so.

The first one is manufactured in So. Cal and I think the second one is a Japanese one.

That's a good price. PP is selling it for a hundred more bucks. ar15.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (V6914 @ Jul 1 2005, 10:03 AM)

Paul

I, tried one of these Hi-Torque starters, don't remember the brand, couldn't get it to fit, hit the tranny one way, hit the trunk flloor the other, and after I went another route some mentioned there are adjustable ones, that fit several different ways.

My other route was old school, SR 13 X, self supporting 6V with 12v gear $110, works great.

YOu have to remove the hex head screws that hold the mounting plate on the front of the starter and rotate it so that it will clear the trunk pan.

then it will fit.

skline
I have an IMI like the one on Ebay on the Chalon and it works great. I had it on my 2270 before I sold it and it worked great there too.
Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 1 2005, 08:07 AM)
QUOTE (V6914 @ Jul 1 2005, 10:03 AM)

Paul

YOu have to remove the hex head screws that hold the mounting plate on the front of the starter and rotate it so that it will clear the trunk pan.

then it will fit.

Thanks for the info, this was a year and a half ago, and the prices on these starters were higher then.
SLITS
These starters either use the Hitachi or Nipondenso gear reduction starter. A new nose is machined for them to fit Porsche (actually they do them for a lot of cars).

Most of them were done by speciality machine shop/ rebuilders, but now I hear that China is making them new (a least that's what Hitachi told me).

You can get them as rebuilts (Hitachi OE starters, not cheap chinese) from RB Performance in Parker, AZ., for $165. Ron Cooke owns the place....(928) 669-6411.

And yes, they will spin a V8 very nicely.
spunone
Where abouts in Parker ? Seen a Blk 914 for sale there about a month ago parked on the street no time to stop and check it out,Could that be the place? idea.gif
SLITS
QUOTE (spunone @ Jul 1 2005, 09:25 AM)
Where abouts in Parker ? Seen a Blk 914 for sale there about a month ago parked on the street no time to stop and check it out,Could that be the place? idea.gif

No Ron doesn't own a teener, but since you asked............521 W. 11th Street, Parker, AZ 85344

He visits us for cores about every two weeks. He also attends most swap meets and car shows with his starters.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.