Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Winter hibernation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Grosbard
I was thinking a bit about winter car hibernation. Of course one issue we face is the ethanol-laced fuel attracting water, so adding sta-bil to the gas tank is a must do. But I'm wondering if there is more we can do.

I am guessing that the prime locations for water to enter the fuel system are:

1. the gas cap (which looks to be just a metal-on-metal seal and thus probably doesn't seal as well as a modern gas cap)

2. the carburetor air intakes.

If that is true, can't we improve upon things for winter storage by just wrapping both areas in kitchen plastic (Saran) wrap or something similar? Or is the system so full of areas where air can enter that this is not moving the needle in any substantive way?

Thanks in advance!
Grosbard
I'm bumping this (hope that's okay) in case somebody would like to contribute yet didn't see the original post before it scrolled off the front page.

To expand upon the original post, I think the question can be distilled down to:

1. Are the gas cap and the carb air intakes (the beginning and end of the fuel system, basically) the main places where air/moisture would enter the fuel system?

2. Would sealing up those areas make a difference, or is the whole system just not very airtight, and thus air/moisture will enter regardless?

3. Maybe the most important question - is there any downside that I'm not thinking of from sealing up those areas...i.e. trapping in moisture that would otherwise harmlessly escape?

Thanks in advance!
Chris914n6
Just drain all the gas out. Put fresh in next spring.

If you can, put the car on blocks so the tires don't get flat spots and it also takes the strain off the sidewalls.
injunmort
hey Kieran, the car is garaged for winter? add the stabil, fill the tank, you will be fine. I don't do either and my car sits in a carport all winter. charge the battery every now and then so it doesn't go flat. I take mine in the house and charge it in the spring. ten years of this no new battery and no issues in the spring. if you were storing longer then I would suggest other things. gas is shitty now but doesn't go that bad over a couple of months.
Mikey914
I run clear gas in mine, the ethanol ate my lines in the 912E, not an inexpensive proposition to replace. The Ethanol will dissolve the rubber bits, and not good for your carb floats either. I'd drain, fill with clear and run it a few miles before storage.

Sure you can wrap the carbs, but if you have the rain trays in good shape the water should not get that far. I'd use a car cover, and battery tender.

There is a seal for the gas cap, the factory is paper, I make them from Viton. Let me know if you want a link I will post up.

MArk
bretth
You can get ethanol free gas from some Stewart's gas stations in central NY but they are only high octane.
Grosbard
Thanks all for the replies! Mike, yes please post a link to your gas cap seal!
Garland
Here is a older post with some more ideas:

Like, the tarp under the car.

914 Winter Storage in cold Northern SNOW States, Procedures for a winter nap.
Mark Henry
I only use pure gas with some Sta-bil, full tank for storage. Even then it's only good for no more than 6 months.

If I could only get gas with ethanol I'd drain the entire system.
Ethanol gas (E10) starts to smell like it's going bad in as little as 2-4 weeks.

I don't like the idea of plastic on the tank cap, etc., for one it could melt if incompatible and the other is you might forget about it, suck it into the tank, carbs, etc., and cause a world of problems.
I had a customer put bounce dryer sheets in his car and engine bay to keep the mice away, next spring forgot about them, sucked them into the fan and it cost him his engine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.