Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More gearbox woes !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
63acornwall
A few weeks ago I reported that could not get second gear without graunch and typically found 4th gear instead . Plus moving off from neutral could find first but then no other gear by choice - random result.
Today was scheduled to drive to get it fixed , backed out of garage in reverse - never any problem getting that gear , left car in neutral engine running 5 minutes , on return could not get reverse again . Could get all other forward gears and graunch into second had miraculously disappeared . Tried all kinds of movement to find reverse - no go . Switched off , restarted , tried again - no reverse . Repeated , nothing .
Previous diagnosis on graunching second was worn bushings , any further suggestions ? smilie_pokal.gif
defianty
QUOTE(63acornwall @ Oct 30 2019, 09:48 PM) *

A few weeks ago I reported that could not get second gear without graunch and typically found 4th gear instead . Plus moving off from neutral could find first but then no other gear by choice - random result.
Today was scheduled to drive to get it fixed , backed out of garage in reverse - never any problem getting that gear , left car in neutral engine running 5 minutes , on return could not get reverse again . Could get all other forward gears and graunch into second had miraculously disappeared . Tried all kinds of movement to find reverse - no go . Switched off , restarted , tried again - no reverse . Repeated , nothing .
Previous diagnosis on graunching second was worn bushings , any further suggestions ? smilie_pokal.gif

Have you done a visual check of all the shift road connections? Are the bushes ok? Are all the set screws tight? What year is the car? Side shft? Tail shift?
63acornwall
Hi defianty , car is side shift 1975 year . Not had a chance to inspect anything yet so cant say . Bit baffled by never any issues finding reverse , always a first time selection , already used a few minutes earlier in backing car out , then it disappeared !

When my neighbours turn up might enlist help to push out of the garage and the driveway then set off for my chosen repairer - a 175 mile and 3+ hour trip but not required to reverse !!
defianty
QUOTE(63acornwall @ Oct 31 2019, 09:11 AM) *

Hi defianty , car is side shift 1975 year . Not had a chance to inspect anything yet so cant say . Bit baffled by never any issues finding reverse , always a first time selection , already used a few minutes earlier in backing car out , then it disappeared !

When my neighbours turn up might enlist help to push out of the garage and the driveway then set off for my chosen repairer - a 175 mile and 3+ hour trip but not required to reverse !!

Go though it all and report back your findings. Things can deteriorate over time so that could be the reason you've now lost reverse.
63acornwall
QUOTE(defianty @ Oct 31 2019, 09:35 AM) *

QUOTE(63acornwall @ Oct 31 2019, 09:11 AM) *

Go though it all and report back your findings. Things can deteriorate over time so that could be the reason you've now lost reverse.

I dont know what the cone screws look like or where they are located , got a Haynes manual though !
Any pictures you can point me at ?
defianty
Take a look at page 89 in the Haynes manual. The cone screws are items 26 and and 23. That's a good place to start.

Also the bolt labelled 1 need to be tight as this is where adjustments to the linkage are made.

A quick google turned up these images and many others.

This shows a broken bush where the rear rod attached to the selector
IPB Image

This shows the firewall bush. This should be a snug fit around the road and also not moving around in the firewall.
IPB Image

This show both of the rear bushes
IPB Image

This is at the firewall and show deteriorated bushes and the hole where one of the set screws go.
IPB Image

So these are the bushes. With these pics and the Haynes manual you'll be able to find your way around and inspect them all.

Good luck.

VaccaRabite
AS others have said the bushings are critical.
Old plastic gets brittle and breaks up, and it can happen slow or happen fast. There are better options now, but the bushings are not all that expensive.

Zach
63acornwall
Thanks for the pictures defianty - just spotted you are a UK resident !

Thanks Zach , I had the bushings tagged to be replaced but I was not going to DIY it .

Will not be re-united with the car till Monday and will get the jacks out to be able to crawl under and look / take pics

This site is a great help to 914 newbies......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.