Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pedrinis in black—factory?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
horizontally-opposed
Hello all—been trying to figure out whether factory 914 Pedrinis came in black on factory cars, as my very early 1973 914 came on them finished like the blue wheels below, but in a low-sheen black and without the high polish on the silver areas.

The black paint was done so well that it sure looked factory—or so I always assumed. For what it's worth, my car was one of those "first 1,000" 1973 MY cars, and had the vinyl on the A-pillars.

Has anyone else seen them done that way? Not easy finding pics via search, whether here or on the web.

Thanks!

pete

horizontally-opposed
They ended up looking more like this—though the eight "holes" were rimmed in silver (as above, on the blue wheel).

Back then, I couldn't switch to five-lug wheels quickly enough. Funny how time changes one's opinion. Found some VERY good looking 914s on Pedrinis while looking for these pics.
mepstein
I think that was painted aftermarket like dealers and owners did with their 2.0 Fuchs.
SirAndy
I've seen quite a few sets painted like that over the years ...
idea.gif

IPB Image
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 30 2019, 10:32 PM) *

idea.gif

IPB Image

THAT'S what they looked like. Exactly.

I suppose they could have been painted after the fact, but they looked very "factory" to me, and the car had very few mods (before I got ahold of it... happy11.gif ).
jcd914
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 30 2019, 10:49 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 30 2019, 10:32 PM) *

idea.gif

IPB Image

THAT'S what they looked like. Exactly.

I suppose they could have been painted after the fact, but they looked very "factory" to me, and the car had very few mods (before I got ahold of it... happy11.gif ).

No the factory didn't paint any of the alloy wheels used on the 914/4 black.

Jim
914Sixer
Factory wheels were clear coated. People started painting them after the Fuchs came painted with black paddles.
davep
My understanding is that only LE Mahles were painted anything but silver. Perhaps some Fuchs for LE's were painted also.
Mikey914
Curious. LEs were different but I was thinking all yellow, that’s all I’ve seen (other than the yellow)
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(davep @ Oct 31 2019, 05:43 AM) *

My understanding is that only LE Mahles were painted anything but silver. Perhaps some Fuchs for LE's were painted also.

Ah, but remember these aren't Mahles we are talking about.

This is, by definition, an obscure question for the 914 braintrust. Was there ever a Pedrini finished in something other than all silver? My car had something else it wasn't supposed to: a vinyl-covered windshield frame. I am wondering if its black-painted Pedrinis could have been factory.
mepstein
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 31 2019, 06:10 PM) *

QUOTE(davep @ Oct 31 2019, 05:43 AM) *

Ah, but remember these aren't Mahles we are talking about.

This is, by definition, an obscure question for the 914 braintrust. Was there ever a Pedrini finished in something other than all silver? My car had something else it wasn't supposed to: a vinyl-covered windshield frame. I am wondering if its black-painted Pedrinis could have been factory.

The vinyl frame was done on a certain number of 914’s. I had a parts car with it. Unusual but factory.
Mikey914
True. Think it was the late 72 or early 73 that had the vinyl. I too have seen these wheels. I’d think at least a popular aftermarket if not factory. Kind of like the Rivera’s.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 31 2019, 05:11 PM) *
The vinyl frame was done on a certain number of 914’s. I had a parts car with it. Unusual but factory.

That was exactly his point, except for the wheels.

I does raise the question, could those cars with windshield vinyl also have come with painted pedrinis?
idea.gif

Larmo63
My '73 #1012 also has/had the vinyl A pillar treatment. It came from the dealer with standard four lug Fuchs wheels.

I've chatted with the original owner about the car, and how it was delivered at Bozzani P/A.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 31 2019, 08:57 PM) *

My '73 #1012 also has/had the vinyl A pillar treatment. It came from the dealer with standard four lug Fuchs wheels.

I've chatted with the original owner about the car, and how it was delivered at Bozzani P/A.

Didn't realize your 914 was one of "the ones." biggrin.gif Was it a 2.0 originally?

My 73 914 is #0193, but while it had the appearance package, I am all but 100% certain it was a 1.7—ergo no Fuchs. It's a strange car, with 1972 everything save the side-shifter 901 so far as I have been able to figure out.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 31 2019, 08:47 PM) *

I does raise the question, could those cars with windshield vinyl also have come with painted pedrinis?
idea.gif

^ This.

Looking at the treatment, with all of the taping around those "holes", it seems like a PITA compared to taping Fuchs off for a bit of black—and IIRC my wheels were done in a way that didn't look "after the fact." Even my Weidman wheels don't have tape lines that nice, and that's really saying something. shades.gif

One or two sets, sure. But if others remember these, too, I begin to wonder if a small run of the wheels were done this way...for whatever reason.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.