Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Timing marks on sbc conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dunc
Two questions:

1. how do you time a sbc conversion when the timing marks are hidden?

2. what's the verdict on cutting an access in the firewall to get access to the water pump and timing marks?

Thanks.
DickSteinkamp
I made a pointer...

IPB Image

...and attached it to an oil pan stud

IPB Image

I got #1 to TDC and marked the flywheel where it lines up with the pointer.

I set initial advance using a dial back timing light.

Of course you have to time it from under the car (not much fun with the engine running) and if you don't have a helper to turn the dizzy you get a lot of exercise.

I'd be interested to hear what others have done.

(PS...how did you get a SBC into the car with the OE water pump in place without cutting the firewall?)
GeorgeRud
Lot’s of racing -6s have had a removable panel installed in their firewall to ease access to the front of the engine. I think it would make sense to do the same on a V8.
914GT
I'm not a fan of cutting holes in the firewall. I have the timing mark located on the driver side of the engine. It's not a problem setting the timing looking under the car from the side. Without a helper it might take a couple iterations of checking the mark and rotating the distributor but it's pretty easy.

IPB Image
FL000
I marked the clutch pressure plate at the top so it aligned with the center of the 901 trans case. With the small indent in the trans at that location, and because I cut some of the rear firewall away to clear the distributor, I can get a timing light in there from the trunk. No additional marks so you need a light that you can dial in the advance for.

I like DickSteinkamp's idea and may need to do that when I swap the 901 for the 01E.
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(FL 000 @ Oct 31 2019, 01:48 PM) *

I marked the clutch pressure plate at the top so it aligned with the center of the 901 trans case. With the small indent in the trans at that location, and because I cut some of the rear firewall away to clear the distributor, I can get a timing light in there from the trunk. No additional marks so you need a light that you can dial in the advance for.

I like DickSteinkamp's idea and may need to do that when I swap the 901 for the 01E.

I think your solution is the most elegant but since I did not have to cut the front panel of the rear trunk to fit the dizzy (and didn't want to), it didn't work for me.

IPB Image

It would have been great if that notch in the trans case was on the bottom. smile.gif
FL000
QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Oct 31 2019, 02:48 PM) *

QUOTE(FL 000 @ Oct 31 2019, 01:48 PM) *

I think your solution is the most elegant but since I did not have to cut the front panel of the rear trunk to fit the dizzy (and didn't want to), it didn't work for me.

IPB Image

It would have been great if that notch in the trans case was on the bottom. smile.gif

Thanks for the picture. I realized I misspoke and meant to say flywheel and not pressure plate. blink.gif picture says 1000 words.
Dunc
QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Oct 30 2019, 08:30 PM) *

I made a pointer...

IPB Image

...and attached it to an oil pan stud

IPB Image

I got #1 to TDC and marked the flywheel where it lines up with the pointer.

I set initial advance using a dial back timing light.

Of course you have to time it from under the car (not much fun with the engine running) and if you don't have a helper to turn the dizzy you get a lot of exercise.

I'd be interested to hear what others have done.

(PS...how did you get a SBC into the car with the OE water pump in place without cutting the firewall?)

1. My mistake. I meant to say access to the water inlet/outlets. The car has an electric water pump mounted up front with the radiator.

2. The arrow is a super cool idea.

3. Has anyone tried timing using a vacuum gage?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.