Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Mahle Gas Burner Wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ClayPerrine
Does anyone have a picture of what the 914-6 Mahle Gas Burner Wheels looked like when they were new? I have a set for Elwood, but I need to get them refinished and I want them to look like they did from the factory.

So if you have an unmolested 914-6 with Gas Burners, I would love a picture of the wheels.

Thanks,

Clay
Gustl
Clay, check out Jeff's collectibles pages - there are pictures form all the old marketing brochures, some of them show photos of 914-6 with gas burners.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Gustl @ Oct 31 2019, 08:18 AM) *

Clay, check out Jeff's collectibles pages - there are pictures form all the old marketing brochures, some of them show photos of 914-6 with gas burners.

Do you have a link?

Thanks,
Clay
SirAndy
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 31 2019, 09:01 AM) *
Do you have a link?

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/Brochures.htm

bye1.gif

horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 31 2019, 05:46 AM) *

Does anyone have a picture of what the 914-6 Mahle Gas Burner Wheels looked like when they were new? I have a set for Elwood, but I need to get them refinished and I want them to look like they did from the factory.

So if you have an unmolested 914-6 with Gas Burners, I would love a picture of the wheels.

Thanks,

Clay

I've got a Gasburner as a "lightweight spare" that I found at a garage sale back in ~1991. Looked NOS to me, as though it had never been mounted, and while it had some scratches, I couldn't bring myself to paint over it.

Can pull it and take some pics of the finishes in sun and shade, if you'd like. My take is that it's just a very nice, very light silver with a fair bit of gloss.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 31 2019, 11:17 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 31 2019, 05:46 AM) *

Thanks,

Clay

I've got a Gasburner as a "lightweight spare" that I found at a garage sale back in ~1991. Looked NOS to me, as though it had never been mounted, and while it had some scratches, I couldn't bring myself to paint over it.

Can pull it and take some pics of the finishes in sun and shade, if you'd like. My take is that it's just a very nice, very light silver with a fair bit of gloss.

Thanks. Pictures would be great! I would really appreciate it.

johnhora
Pic of Original set

Click to view attachment

More pics here:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/forums/sh...hle+gas+burners

A couple of pics from Armando's site of 914-6 with them installed:

https://pbase.com/9146gt/image/153271185

https://pbase.com/9146gt/image/119300253
dr914@autoatlanta.com
"is it real or is it memorex?"

Porsche silver is the correct color (actually the same color as mercedes wheelsClick to view attachment
ClayPerrine
Thanks everyone. I am going to find a painter to paint them Porsche silver and clear coat them.

burton73
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 31 2019, 10:48 AM) *

Thanks everyone. I am going to find a painter to paint them Porsche silver and clear coat them.

Clay,

I had a set on my 914-6 conversation back in 1979 and I refinished them. They had a blue primer with the silver color that I guess was Werth’s.

I believe the blue color was a mag primer so the wheel would not oxidize that much. I tried to refinish by polishing one wheel, I had 5 and it looked like chrome when finished but turned to gray in not very long. Loved those wheels. Paid $600 for them in 79

Bob B
mepstein
QUOTE(burton73 @ Oct 31 2019, 02:45 PM) *

Clay,

I had a set on my 914-6 conversation back in 1979 and I refinished them. They had a blue primer with the silver color that I guess was Werth’s.

I believe the blue color was a mag primer so the wheel would not oxidize that much. I tried to refinish by polishing one wheel, I had 5 and it looked like chrome when finished but turned to gray in not very long. Loved those wheels. Paid $600 for them in 79

Bob B

Mag is so reactive it's hard to keep it shiny for long. You are right about the primer. I thought it was green but I'm sort of color impaired.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(burton73 @ Oct 31 2019, 11:45 AM) *

Clay,

Bob B

Just pulled my spare and will upload pics shortly, but you are right Bob: There appears to be a blue or blue/green (dark teal?) primer under the silver.
horizontally-opposed
Excuse the condition of this wheel, as it lives in my trunk and my car is not concours—it still confronts me with the same dilemma about restoring them, but laziness will probably prevent that. Some paint has flaked off, and this was just a wheel that got scraped up with plenty of shop wear, but I am pretty sure it is the original finish.

The silver looks less glossy than I remember, and with a lot more orange peel than I thought it would have, but I wouldn't bank on that being how it looked when new. The surface has probably deteriorated despite the lack of exposure to road elements—and paint/primer is obviously flaking off in places. I wonder if the instability of magnesium under the primer and paint has a similar effect to paint sinking into fiberglass or carbon-fiber over time?

Tried to shoot the wheel from a lot of different angles and with some things to help show the gloss/reflectivity, and to capture the color of that primer where it is showing. Apologies in advance if the result is lacking!
mepstein
I don’t think the finish was ever glossy. More like semi. 50 year old paint. I’m not surprised it’s flaking.
Gatornapper
Original color is L91. Silver, but called chrome. As said before, Wolfburg West has it. Just got mine.

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 31 2019, 11:48 AM) *

sixnotfour
Dr. you at least gotta chamfer and radius the lug holes..
sixnotfour
my originals , blue primer..
Cairo94507
I think this is the best looking wheel on a 914. I want a set of 5 for my car one day when it is finished and home. beerchug.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 31 2019, 05:04 PM) *

I don’t think the finish was ever glossy. More like semi. 50 year old paint. I’m not surprised it’s flaking.

Good way to describe the finish in the nice spots on my wheel. Hope that "surface value" comes through in the pics for Clay.

Wonder what the primer is, and if it's still available. Looks like a strong dark teal or blue/green to these eyes.

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 1 2019, 08:19 AM) *

I think this is the best looking wheel on a 914. I want a set of 5 for my car one day when it is finished and home. beerchug.gif

Had a set years ago but had to sell them off when things got tight. They're very cool wheels, as I am reminded every time I pull the spare. wub.gif

Some of the widened ones are even better looking, but I've always been curious how they were done, as integrating the deeper lip doesn't look like a project for the faint of heart.
wes
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 1 2019, 03:26 AM) *

Dr. you at least gotta chamfer and radius the lug holes..

First time I’ve seen the Mahle cap!
sixnotfour
and its on a 6.5 Mahle..............widened repo
burton73
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 31 2019, 10:15 AM) *

"is it real or is it memorex?"

Porsche silver is the correct color (actually the same color as mercedes wheelsClick to view attachment

George,

While these copy wheels very look close, the Beauty on real ones is the light weight.
They just feel great in handling and over the bumps or pot holes.

When I sold my 3.0 1974 conversation car in early 80s the buyer hated the look of the wheels.
I took the recommendation of my friend Galen Bieker and bought them. I always was happy with them.

Fresh 911 SC front suspension, P6s Back in 79 every one called 914 shit boxes but I loved them.

Bob B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.