Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: do not let a 914 sit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dr914@autoatlanta.com
a TRUE 50,000 mile original paint 2.0 that has been sitting since 93 and now it needs everything. You THINK you got a deal and then put four times the purchase price into the car just to get it running and driving reliablyClick to view attachment Click to view attachment

although look how GOOT Erics calipers look on this car!
914Sixer
So true, the little stuff adds up quickly.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 31 2019, 03:56 PM) *

So true, the little stuff adds up quickly.

That's what keeps the Doc in business. laugh.gif

No car likes to sit unused for extended periods of time. Gravity eventually pulls oil off cylinder walls, crank, etc., and then rust takes over.

Brake fluid absorbs moisture and eventually corrodes calipers and lines internally.

Tires get brittle. Even if they aren't cracking, after 10 years all the sticky, flexible goodness has left the rubber. Same applies to rubber crank seals, O-rings, etc. Time is not a friend of rubber.

Ethanol causes damage to hoses, carbs, etc.

Storage is not a good thing!

Use em' or lose em as the saying goes!

fiacra
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 31 2019, 11:59 AM) *

You THINK you got a deal and then put four times the purchase price into the car just to get it running and driving reliablyClick to view attachment Click to view attachment

Wait...you can get a 914 running and driving reliably???? I need to make a visit to Atlanta biggrin.gif
Sprout
I agree, George! My car was parked in a garage since 1992. I paid a fair price for the car, but have spent about $7k getting it running and driving decently. It's fine, and I knew what I was getting into when I bought it. I was prepared to do what was needed because a 914 was my dream car. I always tell people if you buy a 914 that's sat for years, you should be prepared to spend up to $5-10k right off the bat to get it going properly.
Garland
agree.gif
And George, I’m sure your a busy guy, with out a lot of extra time on your hands. So, let me know and I’ll drive down to Atlanta and drive your cars for you.
driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.