Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7L Cylinder Compression Values
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rickso71
What would be the lbs. cylinder compression for a rebuilt (and never started) 1.7L engine? I'm getting around 90# on three and 70# in 1. Hoping compression will improve after running it a while.
echocanyons
I recently tested mine and I was getting 115-120 all the way around. (unknown milage not a fresh rebuild)

Did you test with the TB open?

Sounds like you tested it cold.

I would be concerned about the large % difference between 70-90

Maybe someone else will chime in...should a fresh rebuild test with normal compression or does it have to be broken in to fully seal?
goose2
I wouldn't worry too much about absolute values until the engine has been run a bit. A fresh rebuild that is cold, hasn't been run will be tight and slow to spin. Maybe check valve clearances and squirt a teaspoon or so of oil in each hole and try it again. Make sure there's oil in the sump and spin it enough to get oil pressure. (not an expert, but I play one on message boards) wink.gif
lapuwali
Yes, compression test figures are tricky. A newly rebuilt engine that wasn't broken in SHOULD be a bit leaky, that's what the break-in procedure is for. Measuring cold will also throw off the numbers. In many cases, a compression test will tell you as much about the state of your starter and battery as it will about the state of the rings and valves.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.