Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chasing Electrical Gremlin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jfort
My task this weekend it to determine why my right turn signal circuit blows fuse 9. The 4-way blows 9 and 11. With the turn signal wire detached from the rear light assembly the fuse is fine and the brake lights and left turn signal work. So I am thinking there is a short in that circuit. I have had two light assemblies installed and the problem persists.

Can someone tell me how I might find the problem area? Does the forward circuit separate from the rear? Where? How? Is there a connection behind the fuse block that can be undone?

The right rear wire disconnected shows ground but I haven't haven't written down the impedance. If the right front bulb is in, it won't be isolated from ground. Right?

Before I start, I'll eliminate the chance that the green directional light in the tach isn't the problem. Also, I have a new flasher relay coming.

Aren't 50 year old cars fun? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
bdstone914
QUOTE(jfort @ Nov 1 2019, 07:19 AM) *

My task this weekend it to determine why my right turn signal circuit blows fuse 9. The 4-way blows 9 and 11. With the turn signal wire detached from the rear light assembly the fuse is fine and the brake lights and left turn signal work. So I am thinking there is a short in that circuit. I have had two light assemblies installed and the problem persists.

Can someone tell me how I might find the problem area? Does the forward circuit separate from the rear? Where? How? Is there a connection behind the fuse block that can be undone?

The right rear wire disconnected shows ground but I haven't haven't written down the impedance. If the right front bulb is in, it won't be isolated from ground. Right?

Before I start, I'll eliminate the chance that the green directional light in the tach isn't the problem. Also, I have a new flasher relay coming.

Start with a visual inspection of the wires going into the right side blinker lights. And a good wire diagram. I recomend Proseros Garage www.colorwiringdiagrams.com
Jett
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Nov 1 2019, 07:33 AM) *

QUOTE(jfort @ Nov 1 2019, 07:19 AM) *

Start with a visual inspection of the wires going into the right side blinker lights. And a good wire diagram. I recomend Proseros Garage www.colorwiringdiagrams.com

Thanks for the link, I bought two smile.gif
jfort
I've got the old Zapf 1987 color schematic blown up to blue print size and laminated. I shows the dispersement of the signal wires at the 4-way flasher. Must be wired into the board that the flasher plugs into
jfort
black green wires at 31, the 4-way flasher relay. just have to ring out which is which I guess. can't wait to be a contortionist in the foot well tomorrow.

Click to view attachment
Spoke
QUOTE(jfort @ Nov 1 2019, 10:19 AM) *
...With the turn signal wire detached from the rear light assembly the fuse is fine and the brake lights and left turn signal work...

Just to be clear, when you disconnect the turnsignal wire from the rear light assembly, the fuse doesn't blow?

Which rear light assembly did you disconnect? Right or left?

When disconnected, does the right front turnsignal flash ok?

If the questions above are true, then the issue is the rear light fixture. Either the bulb is an issue or the wiring inside the fixture. With the fixture disconnected, measure the resistance (with bulb out) from the turnsignal spade to the ground spade. You should see infinite resistance.

jfort
I disconnect the right one and then the fuse doesn't blow and the left side works fine. Good idea to go spade to spade on the fixture. Thanks
jfort
I solved my problem and learned a lot. On the chance it will help someone in the future, I'll relate. Lord knows others' doing the same has helped me immeasurably.

Right turn signal was blowing fuse 9. 4-ways blew 11. This even after I replaced both rear light assemblies. The blk/grn wire to the RR turn signal showed ground. User "Spoke's" diagram helped me realize that the directional lights in the tach are in the same circuit and that's where I found some bad wiring, probably my fault, and a bad ground. Works fine now.

Things I learned: Per Spoke, I confirmed the short was not in the assembly. But I learned that the +12V has a path to ground through the bulb nevertheless and that a simple continuity detector was not good enough. There is 0.8 Ohms resistance to ground through the bulb, but not the 0.0 that would be a true short. So that's when I focused on the tach and found my problem.

Also, I used a newly purchased PowerProbe III. I could do what it did with a DVOM and a 12V source, but the PowerProbe was much easier and faster. But where it said "ground" I confirmed with the DVOM and measure the resistance.

Not often that I figure out a problem, fix it, know how I fixed it and that it is truly fixed. Let me bask in my glory for a day. Something else will come up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.