Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel, oil, brake lights. tachometer sockets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mnot
I have a set of gauges I am using for a project. The gauges did not come with all the sockets. I have some sockets that are Porsche and VW, but they do not seem to match to the insulated ones on the gauges I have. Anyone have some detailed info on which sockets go where and how they are grounded?

I know it's a little vague.. but..

thanks

Mike
mnot
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Nov 1 2019, 03:14 PM) *

This is what I have. I am not sure about the fuel level socket warning light on the lower right. It has a ground that is internal to the socket, phenolic. I thought one of the spade terminals was broken off, but it is recessed so a terminal could not be installed on it and the ground is down the side of the socket.
theer
Not sure I understand the question, and maybe this is obvious... but the sockets are for lights - either illumination or for warning, blinker, etc. The light bulb holders come in two varieties: plastic with two spades for power and ground, and metal with one spade for power where the metal body is the ground path to the gauge housing. The metal type requires that the gauge housing itself has a ground terminal.

mnot
QUOTE(theer @ Nov 2 2019, 06:35 AM) *

Not sure I understand the question, and maybe this is obvious... but the sockets are for lights - either illumination or for warning, blinker, etc. The light bulb holders come in two varieties: plastic with two spades for power and ground, and metal with one spade for power where the metal body is the ground path to the gauge housing. The metal type requires that the gauge housing itself has a ground terminal.

Which sockets get the two spade sockets and which ones get the single spade... and which one gets the single spade"plastic" with ground down the side of the socket?
FlacaProductions
This may/may not help....note the note that indicates the illustration is shown upside down - since that's the way you usually view these when you're working on them!
Click to view attachment
mnot
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Nov 2 2019, 12:14 PM) *

This may/may not help....note the note that indicates the illustration is shown upside down - since that's the way you usually view these when you're working on them!
Click to view attachment

What type of socket would go in 7?

Where would the plastic socket with one spade and the ground down the side go?

Unfortunately I am starting with a bag of parts.

thanks all
FlacaProductions
Black plastic double connector is for #7/ Fuel reserve - see pic. (black + 2 red/white stripe - the lower one in the pic)
I believe the black plastic sockets with one space and side ground are gauge lighting - #1's.

Click to view attachment
mnot
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Nov 2 2019, 05:02 PM) *

Black plastic double connector is for #7/ Fuel reserve - see pic. (black + 2 red/white stripe - the lower one in the pic)
I believe the black plastic sockets with one space and side ground are gauge lighting - #1's.

Click to view attachment

There is only one black plastic socket with one spade and side ground in the bag. Are you sure all the dash lights get those?

thanks
FlacaProductions
i'm not - these are pics I took last week when I pulled my wheel and gauges to get them freshened up - and now i'm away from the car for a while....
mnot
I am still trying to find out which type of socket goes into each of the gauge holes. I have three types of sockets, plastic two prong, plastic one prong with a ground(?) tab on the side and the all metal single prong.
FlacaProductions
Are you sure you have the correct number of sockets?
barefoot
Here's another shot, hope this helps:

Click to view attachment
mnot
QUOTE(barefoot @ Nov 5 2019, 01:54 PM) *

Click to view attachment

That helps. But the fuel gauge, what socket is used hidden behind the dash pad.

thanks
mnot
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Nov 5 2019, 01:33 PM) *

Are you sure you have the correct number of sockets?

I am not sure. I picked up the gauges used, and some of the sockets were missing.

thanks
mnot
Could I assume that the metal sockets go into the gauge where there is a metal stub out and the plastic ones go where the gauge is nearly flush?
FlacaProductions
QUOTE(mnot @ Nov 6 2019, 02:10 PM) *

QUOTE(barefoot @ Nov 5 2019, 01:54 PM) *

Click to view attachment

That helps. But the fuel gauge, what socket is used hidden behind the dash pad.

thanks

Black wire and 2 red/white wires for fuel reserve light - that's a black plastic connector with two leads on it and a side ground.
FlacaProductions
otherwise- it's just 3 single wires that plug directly onto the spades on the gauge. #4, 5 and 6

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.