Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tires and tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Speedo
My six is at paint and I am doing all the behind the scenes stuff getting ready for when he comes home. I have the original 5.5 x 14s stashed, but will use 6 x 15 fuchs. On my 911s, my "go to" size is 205 50 15s. I like the look, footprint, handling etc. Am I ok with that size? Fenders are rolled but not flared. Original size was 185 70 14, correct? What would the tire diameter comparison be between the two sizes?

My son is working to convert his 70 1.7 to a five bolt suspension. He likes the look of a set of 15 x 7 cookies I have (shop rollers) and before he orders the same set of 205 50 15s we want to make sure they will fit. I'm guessing the fronts will be fine...will there be enough rear negative camber to get the cookies with the 205 15s mounted? Thanks in advance.
brant
The 205 should be 95 percent safe on the 6 inch wheels

But the offset on the cookies adds an inch to the outside
So 70 percent safe on the cookies
I remember slits could only get 185 on his rear 7 inch cookies

The fenders were installed by hand and it is common to see variance in fender clearance

I would recommend buying a set of 6 inch cookies the look great. Dirt cheap. And no figment issues causing fender surgery on the yellow car
mepstein
I have 205x60x15 mounted on 6” cookies. The combo fits great but wouldn’t have worked with 7” cookies. One side was a little closer than the other but I “adjusted” the fender with my hands and some leather gloves. I know guys do 7” cookies with narrower tires but that doesn’t do it for me.

6” cookies are usually a couple hundred more than the 7’s - but still a deal.
roblav1
7" rear cookies I had on my previous build fit on only one side. Common theme!
Speedo
Ok, thanks guys. So the 7 cookies are shop rollers currently with 215 60s on them now...weird tire size. So once we get the five bolt rear finished, we'll mount those as they are and see what clearances we get/need. I'm going to have him hold off on buying the 205 50 15s until we are clearer on wheel size...even though those would be fine on either 6s or 7s.
Speedo
BTW, how much negative camber can you typically achieve in the rear?
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(Speedo @ Nov 3 2019, 05:39 AM) *

My six is at paint and I am doing all the behind the scenes stuff getting ready for when he comes home. I have the original 5.5 x 14s stashed, but will use 6 x 15 fuchs. On my 911s, my "go to" size is 205 50 15s. I like the look, footprint, handling etc. Am I ok with that size? Fenders are rolled but not flared. Original size was 185 70 14, correct? What would the tire diameter comparison be between the two sizes?

The original tire size on a 914/6 was 185HR14. This would be equivalent to a 185 82 14 if they were measured like today's tires.

A 185 82 14 is 25.9" in diameter

A 205 50 15 is 23.1" in diameter

Tire Size Calculator

IMHO, a tire 3" shorter than stock would look goofy unless the car was lowered substantially. Even then, they would not fill the wheel well very well.

Your speedometer would not be very accurate. It would show you going over 10% faster than you actually were.

Of course wheel and tire choice is a very personal thing. There are always many factors and trade offs to consider.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
cwpeden
Tire size comparison: https://tiresize.com/comparison/
....how did you know... dry.gif...I was a little slow on the draw
brant
QUOTE(Speedo @ Nov 3 2019, 09:37 AM) *

plenty... more than you need for a street car.
the lowering of the car helps

you will need "alignment shims" which are reproduced now
a good 4wheel alignment is necessary

Speedo
Ok the five bolt conversion is done and the 15 x 7 cookies are waayy to much for his car.
He needs a set of 15 x 6 cookies, or a set of 14 x 5.5 fuchs. If you guys have some leads please let us know. He is looking for "drivers" quality. Starting the hell hole...wish us luck. Better yet, Brant and Ferg...come up and do some welding. It will take some pressure off of social distancing and everyone knows the Covid19 hates welding fumes.
idea.gif
brant

@shelby /914
@Kansas 914

Lars,
I sold my last set of 6inch cookies about 4 years ago to a friend in Denver
he might still have them. I don't think he went 5 bolt with that car..?

also I know where a set of 14's are at... and will ask the owner if he is looking to sell

I thought you had 6's?
didn't' realize you were using 7's

your going to want a 195 or 205 on a 6inch wheel or smaller
brant
porschetub
QUOTE(Speedo @ Nov 4 2019, 04:37 AM) *

Plenty as mentioned,running 7x16 Fuches with minor guard pull and now issues with clearance and no guard roll and zero shims.
Have 7x15 Cookies but didn't know they don't fit ,they are spare so may sell them,didn't know the offset didn't work,was sure members on here were using them ???.
mepstein
QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 19 2020, 07:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Speedo @ Nov 4 2019, 04:37 AM) *

Plenty as mentioned,running 7x16 Fuches with minor guard pull and now issues with clearance and no guard roll and zero shims.
Have 7x15 Cookies but didn't know they don't fit ,they are spare so may sell them,didn't know the offset didn't work,was sure members on here were using them ???.

Every 914 is different but most stock 914's will fit a 6" Fuchs or cookie with a 205x60x15 but not a 7" with the same tire. Place a WTB on Pelican and you can usually find 4 - 6" cookies from $400-600. The 6' wheels with 205 tires are still a lot of contact patch for our cars and a good tire with a smart suspension setup should give you a lot of performance.
6s219
I recently installed 7x15 with 205/50/15 on all fours. The clearance at the rear was not the same on both sides. There was more clearance on the rear passenger side then the driver side. I had to roll the inner lip of the driver side and now all is well. I did not adjust the camber. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
on a stock fendered six, for everyday ride but fatter footprint, 206/60x15 front and rear. For more of a stock ride 185/7-x15 Michelins from coker tire

QUOTE(Speedo @ Nov 3 2019, 06:39 AM) *

My son is working to convert his 70 1.7 to a five bolt suspension. He likes the look of a set of 15 x 7 cookies I have (shop rollers) and before he orders the same set of 205 50 15s we want to make sure they will fit. I'm guessing the fronts will be fine...will there be enough rear negative camber to get the cookies with the 205 15s mounted? Thanks in advance.

914e
If it is not too late, I would check fitment before you paint. On mine the passenger rear would have rubbed. Measuring from the fender to the to inner well it was narrower on the passenger side. Holding a long straight edge to the fender on both side I could see it did not have same slight curve as the other-side. It might been 1/16" concave. As far as I could tell it had never been hit. The front passenger had minor body work done before, which I cleaned up some-more. The body filler was a little heavy for my taste and the lines did not match the other side. I used 10" long piece of 2x4 and scissor jack to push it out about an 1/8". The 2x4 I shaped with sander to get it a curve and rounded the edges so it would not apply pressure at the edges.

When I fitted tires and wheels, the passenger rear was about 3/8" tighter with a 205 and would have rubbed. After looking a measuring I decided to try and push it out the fender to match the other side. I started in the middle then worked back and forth along the wheel well slowing working it out. Kept working it till it closely match the other side. It was about 4-5 hours process. I was worried about the lip possibly cutting a tire if I ever decided to corner hard, so I rolled the lip before I painted. I thought I took some pictures, but I can't find them.
Speedo
This question has evolved. A friend hooked us up with some 5.5 x 14 fuchs. Son couldn't be happier. I called Performance Plus Tires in CA to check on tire sizes and they are few.
Found a set of 205 50 14s and a 205 60 14 set. Representative told me the 215 60 14 required a minimum rim width of 6 inches vs the 5.5 we have. Thoughts? What size do most run on the 5.5 x 14 wheels and of course what brands?

TIA
Speedo
mepstein
2.0 Fuchs are 5.5 and work well with 195x65 or 205x60. 215 will rarely fit a stock 914 on stock 2.0 Fuchs.
GT flared cars often run a 7 with a 205 tire so I think you have to decide on the look you want and see what fits in the wheel well more than just suggested tire size on a wheel.
Chris914n6
I bought the fender rolling tool and tuck 225/50-16 on 7" et23.

My other 914(s) will be rolled to fit 7x15 cookies also as I've managed to collect 2 sets of wheels off junkyard 944s.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.