Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Threaded Insert installation help.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Crudbud
So I Stripped the shifter coupler threads tightening the Allen Screw to the shift rod. I ordered the threaded Insert from Auto Atlanta and need advice installing it. There are no slots to thread it in. Do I just tap it and lock-tight it in? Thanks.
Mark Henry
Is it a case saver, helicoil or a timesert?
Helicoil and timesert have special proprietary taps that you would have to buy.

Do you have a link to the AA insert?
bdstone914
There is not much material to use a threaded insert.
IronHillRestorations
By the time you purchase a Helicoil or Timesert kit, I suspect you could source a good used coupler from someone in this group
injunmort
a brand new coupler is $40.00. easier than reinventing the wheel.
Crudbud
It does look just like a Time Sert and I guess I am screwed because I don't have the special tools and yes it would be the same cost as a new one then. They didn't mention any installation info on the Web page The part # is RW663. I will just buy a new one thanks.
Montreal914
QUOTE(Crudbud @ Nov 3 2019, 04:07 PM) *

It does look just like a Time Sert and I guess I am screwed because I don't have the special tools and yes it would be the same cost as a new one then. They didn't mention any installation info on the Web page The part # is RW663. I will just buy a new one thanks.

Contact the person who sold it to you... confused24.gif
Garland
You can drill out the hole, insert nut, and bolt.
It will never fail again, but there’s no turning back.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Garland @ Nov 3 2019, 08:04 PM) *

You can drill out the hole, insert nut, and bolt.
It will never fail again, but there’s no turning back.

You would need to drill thru the coupler and rod and can use a 6m bolt and nut. I have seen it done. Or buy a new coupler
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.