Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: to coat or not to coat
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ahycaramba
I am thinking of powder coating my door handles and sail trim black but not sure if it could be done on these types of metals?
Looking for something durable that can resist scrapes and chips. any recommendations?

thanks in advance
gcrotvik
I had mine done in the late 70s. Had the windshield trim done also.
Maltese Falcon
Powder coating depends on how these thin gauge trim pieces take to the heat oven cycle, after the spraying.
I've had mixed results with different shops. Even had some trim pieces curl up and deform like crisp bacon confused24.gif
I'll be taking my next group of trim over to my body shop, he's been using a new low-gloss black on trim, and it's very good with resisting abrasion. PS your door handles will need to be taken apart/ then rebuilt before P-coating... for best operation afterwards
Andyrew
I've had rattlecan black door handles and mirror for about 10 years... Couple of nicks but it still looks decent... Easy to touch up.
mepstein
I would Cerikote.
ahycaramba
Thanks for the info guys,
Never heard of Cerikote before, is this something new? I did some research (despite the obvious powder coat is compiled of powder and Cerikote is a liquid). It seems that both are similar in strength but Cerikote lays down thinner than powder coating. Better choice for door handles.
Did find something else interesting Electro plating chrome to black chrome, has anybody done this and what was the results?
ahycaramba
delete double post biggrin.gif
roblav1
PPG DP90LF. Mix with acetone to get a slight sheen.
mepstein
QUOTE(ahycaramba @ Nov 4 2019, 07:52 PM) *

Thanks for the info guys,
Never heard of Cerikote before, is this something new? I did some research (despite the obvious powder coat is compiled of powder and Cerikote is a liquid). It seems that both are similar in strength but Cerikote lays down thinner than powder coating. Better choice for door handles.
Did find something else interesting Electro plating chrome to black chrome, has anybody done this and what was the results?

You can get cerikote that air dries so no baking is needed, unlike powder coat. It's a very hard and durable ceramic coating. Used a lot in the firearm industry.
dcheek
All the trim on this car was painted - not powder coated.

Click to view attachment

Dave
Cornerlot
Try VHT Roll Bar & Chassis Paint . Comes in black satin or gloss spray bombs, it's air (moisture) cured epoxy. Really tough and a good substitute for factory black anodized trim.
Garland
Not the greatest pictures, of my car I built in the 80’s but the trim was all flat black trim tape, in various widths. I still have some of those pieces, tape is still holding up!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
So a little off topic, but how do you take apart a door handle?
Garland
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Nov 5 2019, 12:29 PM) *

So a little off topic, but how do you take apart a door handle?

Try these two links:

Door rebuild

I can fix outside door handles
Maltese Falcon
Here is a pic of the Ditzler kit which my body shop is using on all of the 9148-gtt trim pieces
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.