Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drove the teener to work for the 1st time! (pics!)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
beemie96
First Pics posted of my little gem. Not real pretty, there's still plenty of work to do, but it made it to work today!

couple of questions, though. I got it to run pretty well, but once I've driven it around and it's gotten good and hot, it doesn't shift as well, and I seem to lose power... the engine sounds fine, so I think maybe the tranny? I searched for oil recommendations (I replaced the tranny oil, but with cheap 90w stuff) and this is what I plan to get:

transmission: GL-5 80w90 (should I get 90w140 like someone mentioned since I seem to have the issues once the transmission gets hot?)

engine - 20w50 dino oil for the summer

Also, I know the mounts are iffy -- i will be swapping those shortly.

beemie96
Pic 2
beemie96
sorry so grainy. the garage at work doesn't have great lighting...
rick 918-S
aktion035.gif driving.gif That's what it's all about! Little victories! monkeydance.gif
Root_Werks
It sure is nice to drive the little sucker isn't it? biggrin.gif driving.gif
beemie96
Yeah, it sure is. Felt great, even with the shifting / motor mounts / other issues. This was a BIG victory considering the condition of the car when I started on it. It doesn't even leak much oil at this point! barely drips!
john grier
WOW glad you made it!!!
You are braver than I am right now.
I have not driven mine to work yet.
As we all know the streets of Nashville are a virtual hazard for 914's
Very easy to get in an accident.
Other drivers will run over a small car in a heartbeat and think nothing of it.
ematulac
QUOTE (beemie96 @ Jul 1 2005, 09:10 AM)
It doesn't even leak much oil at this point! barely drips!

No oil leak? May be out of oil! biggrin.gif

Try Swepco 201 for the tranny oil. I can't remember what weight it is, but it seems to be the most popular choice. It's a little pricey, but it gave my tired old tranny some new life.

Congrats on getting it drivin'! aktion035.gif
Tab914
Does anyone else work there?? The parking lot looks empty. At least you won't get your panels scratched or dinged. biggrin.gif
Congrats on getting the car there. You gotta drive em to keep em young.......... beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.