Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedo Drive Gear leak & transmission fluid recommendation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dcecc1968
I got my 914 back on the road and after parking in the garage, noticed oil on the garage floor on the passenger side below the heat exchanger, and elsewhere along the transmission.

From searching other 914World threads, I noticed that the speed gear is common leak spot, but I need to clean the area to see exactly where the leak is originating.

Is the below 914rubber part the recommended fix and is there another gasket that I should purchase, or will the guide take care of it?

Also, need a transmission fluid recommendation if there is something better than recommended in the Haynes Manual... prefer a fluid I can get at the LAPS.

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
You will note the part has an extra channel on the lower edge that has a completely new seal factory never made them like this.

Factory
Mikey914
The one we make.
You can see how the extra seal is below the mount bolt. It's just a second line of defense between your transmission and the garage floor.

https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/s...bushing-kit-1-1

dr914@autoatlanta.com
speedo o ring, and speedo main seal, two parts will solve the problem, then fill with 80/90 weight oil
Mikey914
Yes the new seal do help, but adding an additional one makes sure it will not leak. There is a reason we make these, it's not just for fun. biggrin.gif
maxwelj
I can vouch for Mikey's seal. Had a bad leak marking it's spot, then replaced with Mikey's (914Rubber) drive and the leak stopped. Only issue was figuring out which way the internal seal was supposed to go, but a simple question got that answered and we were good to go.
Tdskip
Nothing fancy needed as far as transmission oil goes, manual is fine.
dcecc1968
Thanks for the feedback. Once I confirm this is my leak, I'll make my 914 Rubber purchase. Mark, do you have any use for the old "core".

On the oil, looks like most agree that 80W90 GL-5 is the proper spec.
To fill: remove the fill plug first (after finding the elusive 17mm hex wrench) and it takes 2.5 to 3 quarts to fill, and fill on level surface, .... does that sound about right?
Tdskip
QUOTE(dcecc1968 @ Nov 4 2019, 03:32 PM) *

Thanks for the feedback. Once I confirm this is my leak, I'll make my 914 Rubber purchase. Mark, do you have any use for the old "core".

To fill: remove the fill plug first (after finding the elusive 17mm hex wrench) and it takes 2.5 to 3 quarts to fill, and fill on level surface, .... does that sound about right?

Amazon has the Allen head you need, fill to just starts to weep out, simple if potentially messy job.
Mikey914
QUOTE(dcecc1968 @ Nov 4 2019, 12:32 PM) *

Not really, we machine all from billet, you can find tolerances in the shaft will expand from wear to so all is back to factory.
Thanks though.
Mark
soccerplyr
I have the same issue and am trying to install the new gear guide. Is there a trick to it? I can't get it to go into the case once it gets to the second seal.
rhodyguy
If no hex and the plug will budge, you can use a double/jam nutted bolt with a 17MM head. Let some penetrant work first.
Mark Henry
I use an clean piece of cardboard, slide it under over night, then without moving it I look to see exactly where the drip is coming from. Best to find exactly where it's coming from first.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.