Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT But a rare piece
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Unobtanium-inc
It's not everyday we get to live up to the name, but today is one of those days, arrived this morning, the tail off of 550-0058. Unobtanium indeed!
bandjoey
A little JBWeld and it'll be good as new.
Looks like a rare find. Does 58 have a history, or just an unobtainable piece?
bretth
Hopefully the rest of the car still exists somewhere. Were they all aluminum?
buck toenges
Just curious, did the person that owned that part contact you or did you know about it and reached out? Just curious how these things happen.

Buck
914Sixer
Should buff right out ? biggrin.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(buck toenges @ Nov 4 2019, 03:27 PM) *

Just curious, did the person that owned that part contact you or did you know about it and reached out? Just curious how these things happen.

Buck

I put out the word a couple of years ago that I was a buyer for any and all original Spyder metal, some has trickled in. So far I have doors, hood, inner fenders, and now a tail.
johnhora
Very Cool...
Krieger
Wow, nice score!
Rav914

Buck

Law of attraction?
Andyrew
Wow, that's in incredibly good condition considering....

How many Xs does one pay for that? $Xx,xxx?
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 5 2019, 05:08 AM) *

It was enough that after working out a price, I still needed 24 hours to come to terms with it. I justified it by telling myself there probably won't be another 550 rear clip, same with the hood and the doors. They made less than 150 of these cars so that's not a big pool to draw from. Add to that they are all 60+ years old, and they went all over the world. Grab what you can when you can.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Nov 5 2019, 08:13 PM) *

It was enough that after working out a price, I still needed 24 hours to come to terms with it. I justified it by telling myself there probably won't be another 550 rear clip, same with the hood and the doors. They made less than 150 of these cars so that's not a big pool to draw from. Add to that they are all 60+ years old, and they went all over the world. Grab what you can when you can.

agree.gif You always need to be ready when opportunity strikes. I have found my share of valuable stuff just by people knowing I'm a "Porsche Guy".

Nice score! beer.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(GaroldShaffer @ Nov 5 2019, 11:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Nov 5 2019, 08:13 PM) *

agree.gif You always need to be ready when opportunity strikes. I have found my share of valuable stuff just by people knowing I'm a "Porsche Guy".

Nice score! beer.gif

Probable felt like too much now and a steal in 10 years.
Vysoc
Nice acquisition!!!

Beautiful piece, back in 2011 I had the chance to buy the rear wing from one of the Flying Lizard Porsches. My best friend was dying of cancer and he got to open the box up, it really made his day. I never regret buying that great piece of racing art.

Way to go!

Vysoc flag.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Vysoc @ Nov 6 2019, 08:31 PM) *

Nice acquisition!!!

Beautiful piece, back in 2011 I had the chance to buy the rear wing from one of the Flying Lizard Porsches. My best friend was dying of cancer and he got to open the box up, it really made his day. I never regret buying that great piece of racing art.

Way to go!

Vysoc flag.gif

This?
Unobtanium-inc
Another cool piece we got a few years ago, Peter Gregg's ducktail. It went on the wall.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Rav914 @ Nov 5 2019, 02:16 AM) *

Buck

Law of attraction?

agree.gif Now that you have one another will surface.
sixnotfour
333 team was based in Wa. for a minute,,when they moved on they had a front half of body that they said a buddy and I could have ...got there 2 days later, they had sawzalled it into 4 pieces, I had the left front for a long time , gave it my buddy that had the other 3 pieces.... also an axle and steering rack..Got some great team shirts....When they are done they're Done..
dr914@autoatlanta.com
it is terrific that you are rescuing pieces of Porsche history. Your place is like a museum!
ctc911ctc

agree.gif Now that you have one another will surface.
[/quote]

Always the way! agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 7 2019, 10:09 AM) *

it is terrific that you are rescuing pieces of Porsche history. Your place is like a museum!

You should see the A Coupe we hung on the wall....

---Adam
bretth
Love the patina on that 550 hood.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(bretth @ Nov 7 2019, 05:31 PM) *

Love the patina on that 550 hood.

The best part about it is it's the same livery as when it last raced in 1969 at Cumberland.
TargaToy
Darn that's cool!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.