Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to get this stance?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Good morning gentlemen, hope everybody’s adjusted to the time change, I’m still perplexed on why it’s so darn dark so early.

I quite like the stance of this 914/6 that is closing today on BAT. If I wanted to replicate this what do you think they did by way of set up to get it to look like this? Is there a specific combination of spring rates etc. for the rear? Front end adjustments are easy, but rear right height seems to be all over the place and hoping to avoid trial and error.

Thanks!

Click to view attachment
infraredcalvin
The ad mentions that it has “KYB shocks and track springs out back”. While I’d stay away from the KYBs, it looks like no magic, just shorter (and stiffer springs). How short and how stiff is the question.

Way back when I put some GPR progressive springs on my car that lowered the rear close to what is shown (sitting on the shelf waiting to be sold).

It will be a bit of trial and error to get things exactly where you want them. You could go with some bilsteins in the rear that have different perch settings and combine with spring height, or the more expensive route of getting adjustable coil overs, then you just need to pic your spring rate....
mepstein
Like IRC said above, Bilstein's make it easy. Mine looks like that on the number 4 slot but I'm raising it because it's a little too low for me.
Tdskip
Thanks @mepstein and @infraredcalvin

Forgive the still kind of a newbie question but OOTB Bilstein shocks come with enough adjustment to dial in the rear stance.
mepstein
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Nov 5 2019, 10:08 AM) *

Forgive the still kind of a newbie question but OOTB Bilstein shocks come with enough adjustment to dial in the rear stance.

Yes
sixnotfour
note that those are 14 inch fuchs ,
Tdskip
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 5 2019, 11:06 AM) *

note that those are 14 inch fuchs ,

@sixnotfour - good catch. I did notice that the tires were "skinny", that helps on clearance when lowered like this I assume?
Tdskip
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 5 2019, 10:13 AM) *

Yes

@mepstein - doesn’t that make Bilstein the choice for all but track use then?
mepstein
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Nov 5 2019, 12:05 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 5 2019, 10:13 AM) *

Yes

@mepstein - doesn’t that make Bilstein the choice for all but track use then?

There are people who are happy with their Koni’s and Boge’s but I do like Bilsteins. There are “lowering” springs that give you some adjustment with Boge’s and like was said before, the adjustable coil over kits let you really fine tune things. Ian has a great YouTube video on how to install and set up. Remember though, the lower you go on stock suspension pick up points, the less travel is available so firmer springs are usually needed to keep the car from bottoming out on the stops.
RolinkHaus
Another stupid question, Can you not just adjust the suspension to lower the vehicle?
Tdskip
QUOTE(RolinkHaus @ Nov 5 2019, 12:46 PM) *

Another stupid question, Can you not just adjust the suspension to lower the vehicle?

Just like the 911/912 the front ride height is super easy to adjust, rear not so much.
914Sixer
Why do you think you need to adjust suspension? What makes you think Porsche did not find the right compromise for everyday use?
jmitro
some people just like a lower stance.
and the front end was raised in the US to meet bumper height requirements, so why not stance the car the way Porsche intended?
rhodyguy
Adj perches/threaded collars on the rear. Figure on matching the suspension components. No telling what else you might do prior to the corner balance/alignment.
RolinkHaus
Gotta love stance aktion035.gif Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
hijacked.gif

It's all about the stance.

Click to view attachment

OK . . . now I'll pissoff.gif
Rand
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 5 2019, 10:00 AM) *

Why do you think you need to adjust suspension? What makes you think Porsche did not find the right compromise for everyday use?

Ask any racer. Every factory car can benefit with adjustments. They never come optimized from the factory. The US front stance is just an embarrassing example.

As said, the front is easy, just some twists with a wrench. Coilover conversion to the rear.

Please don't do it for looks. That's not what these cars are about. Adjust to your driving needs and then get it aligned properly to fix what that screwed up.
Just don't take it to the point where your handling is ruined like some of these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=slammed+914...h=577&dpr=3

An old example for a good laugh:

Click to view attachment
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 5 2019, 07:13 AM) *

Yes

See the various slots on the yellow shocks, place the perch circlip on the one you want to adjust ride height...

Click to view attachment

Add coil over sleeves for finer adjustments, and a plethora of spring rates. I have bilsteins with coil over sleeves with 200# springs on my track car... a little stiff on the streets but not bad... set up by the PO.

Click to view attachment
Chi-town
Rebel racing coil overs in the rear, Bilstein shocks all the way around and a really good bump steer kit, done
Larmo63
14" Fuchs are lame.

KYBs are lame.

Have a nice night.
mepstein
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Nov 5 2019, 11:02 PM) *

14" Fuchs are lame.

KYBs are lame.

Have a nice night.

LOL! You kill me. av-943.gif
colingreene
hes not wrong though.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Nov 5 2019, 10:02 PM) *

14" Fuchs are lame.

KYBs are lame.

Have a nice night.

911 owners are lame....... poke.gif
sixnotfour
911 stance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3SN-SF7oqc
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.