Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
poulinatwop
hello everyone, I'm relatively new to 914s but have been involved with Porsches for many years. I'm in the process of restoring a 914-6. Overall its a fairly original non-rusty car (it was ziebarted when new). I purchased the car from a gentleman that bought in 1972. I am trying to do the restoration as much back to stock as possible. I was hoping someone could help me out with a few items.

1) what would the original suspension have been on the car and what color were the shocks?
2) Would the car have come with a front sway bar or did the PO add that?
3) The engine is original to the car but at one point the PO tossed the air filter housing. Anyone have a line on where i can find and original air filter housing?

Thanks in advance
Tdskip
Welcome to the forum, and good to hear this one is in good hands.

I believe it would have had a front swaybar as it came from the factory, the size of that may have changed over the years of course based on my prior understood. Unless you are a complete stickler for originality a slightly operated bar can make a positive difference in how the car drives and I don’t think would hinder market value of the car.
mepstein
Front bars were an option but like what Tdskip said, make a huge positive difference to handling.
The original suspension was basically 911T front suspension.
The air cleaners are in short supply but available on the popular forums - World, pelican, earlySreg and ebay. They are plastic, not like the metal 911 units.

welcome.png
Minerva's 914
welcome.png
914Sixer
Boge front struts and rear shocks were grey Koni would have been orange. Bilstein was never an option. Check to see if struts have been updated to later pin type ball joints. Suspension is satin black.
Al Meredith
My original 6 #1937 has the "U" bracket on the A arm but no sway bar. The through triangle holes are not there
ClayPerrine
The 70 models were not available with a sway bar. And I think you got both front and rear bars in 71-72.

Al Meredith
Thanks , Clay , mine is a 70 Al
Cairo94507
My original '71 914-6 had the U brackets but no sway bar and no corresponding holes in the wheel wells. During the restoration we added stock later model 914 sway bars front and rear. beerchug.gif welcome.png
injunmort
my '71, '72 and '73 have u brackets, no bars or cutouts. ( all /4s btw)
fixer34
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 5 2019, 04:21 PM) *

The 70 models were not available with a sway bar. And I think you got both front and rear bars in 71-72.

My March 70 -6 has the front sway bar, but no rear.
I bought it in '77 and it was there at that time. No history prior to that, but think I'm the second or possibly third owner.
Was it a dealer option?
mtndawg
Pics needed
gereed75
I suspect that if the car came with the sway bar option it would have both. Don’t think you could factory order just a front bar. If it has only a front bar that was added later and it Is not unusual to mount only a front bar as the rear generally adds more oversteer than is desirable

The plastic air box is common to 911’s and is therefore not hard to find. The 914-6 correct snorkel is specific to the 914 and is tougher to source

I suggest a WTB add in the classified or contact Thoroughbred Motorsports in Corry PA. Kurt has a boatload or plastic airboxes and I think he had a couple of six snorkels too.
altitude411
QUOTE(poulinatwop @ Nov 5 2019, 08:37 AM) *

1) what would the original suspension have been on the car and what color were the shocks?
2) Would the car have come with a front sway bar or did the PO add that?
3) The engine is original to the car but at one point the PO tossed the air filter housing. Anyone have a line on where i can find and original air filter housing?

Thanks in advance

1)Click to view attachment

3)Here's some info on 914-6 air boxes...
http://w.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=337394
ClayPerrine
If you want to convert from the early pinch ball joints to the later wedge ball joints, or the bottom of your strut is damaged, Zims has a machining service where they remove the old pinch ball joint socket from the bottom of the strut and replace it with a newly machined part for the wedge ball joint. You get to keep your factory original strut, but you get the safety of a wedge ball joint.

The front struts on Elwood were the prototype for this conversion, so I know it works.

Contact Aaron at 817-267-4451 or 1-800-356-2964 for more information and pricing. Aaron is also on here as partsguy22.

http://allzim.com/index.html

poulinatwop
Thanks for all the responses and help. Will try to post some pictures next week when I am back. Lots of knowledge here!
fixer34
QUOTE(mtndawg @ Nov 5 2019, 06:11 PM) *

Pics needed

If you were asking me, here you go. I can pull the tire and get better ones this weekend if needed. I know I didn't add it and I've had the car since 1977. There was nothing done to the car that I could tell when I bought it except the muffler had been replaced with the dual muffler Monza style. (and the rear valence discarded....) Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Nov 7 2019, 07:28 PM) *

QUOTE(mtndawg @ Nov 5 2019, 06:11 PM) *

Pics needed

If you were asking me, here you go. I can pull the tire and get better ones this weekend if needed. I know I didn't add it and I've had the car since 1977. There was nothing done to the car that I could tell when I bought it except the muffler had been replaced with the dual muffler Monza style. (and the rear valence discarded....) Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Probably installed by a previous owner, like our six. I disconnected it because the hole on the left side is torn out. It will be restored to no sway bar when the body work is done.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.