Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Voltage regulator ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jrblackbox
The alternator (red) light would blink faintly when using the turn signals, I researched here and figured it was the voltage regulator. I ordered a new one (Beru) and received it today. It is quite smaller than the Bosch, it doesn't seem to sit properly in the plug and the 2 screwholes don't line up perfectly. tried it anyway the car a 71, started right up as usual, but the alt light is still blinking faintly, no change. what now? TIA for any advice.Click to view attachment
Tbrown4x4
Is the belt tight? Alternator brushes could be worn.
jrblackbox
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Nov 5 2019, 03:46 PM) *

Is the belt tight? Alternator brushes could be worn.

Belt is tight.
Tbrown4x4
Well, you really can't test much on the back of the alternator because of the cover, but check that the B+ wire from the alternator to the starter motor terminal is attached. (The same terminal where the battery cable goes.)

Also, maybe check continuity across the relay board connections where the alt harness plugs in to where the regulator plugs in.

Other than that, you might just need to pull the alternator and have it checked.
FlacaProductions
If you're still looking for a voltage regulator that fits correctly, George/AA just posted this: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=341528&hl=
Spoke
QUOTE(jrblackbox @ Nov 5 2019, 05:25 PM) *

I ordered a new one...no change. what now? TIA for any advice.

Sounds like the issue is not the VR. Mechanicals seem in order (belt). Time to break out the voltmeter.

Take 4 voltage measurements all referenced to a chassis stud (Not the engine):

D+
DF
D-
B+

D+, DF, D- can be found on the alternator connector at the relay board. Jam the voltmeter probe into the connector. Do not disconnect anything.

B+ is the battery + terminal. All easily accessible. Should take less than a minute to do all 4 measurements.

The difference in voltage between D+ and B+ is the voltage lighting the GEN light.

Do the measurements with these conditions after the engine is warmed up:

1) Idle w/all electrics off
2) Idle w/Headlights on
3) 2k RPM w/all electrics off
4) 2k RPM w/Headlights on

These voltage "sets" will give a good indication of the health of your charging system. Should take about 5 minutes to do all the measurements. Write them down as you take the measurements.
bdstone914

The alternator (red) light would blink faintly when using the turn signals, I researched here and figured it was the voltage regulator. I ordered a new one (Beru) and received it today. It is quite smaller than the Bosch, it doesn't seem to sit properly in the plug and the 2 screwholes don't line up perfectly. tried it anyway the car a 71, started right up as usual, but the alt light is still blinking faintly, no change. what now? TIA for any advice.Click to view attachment

Pull the alternator harness plug at the relay board and inspect the connections. Look into the socket ang for burnt wires. Probsbly not the regulator.
914Sixer
Many articles about the replacement VR, no matter who makes the solid state one.
jrblackbox
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Nov 6 2019, 05:57 AM) *

Pull the alternator harness plug at the relay board and inspect the connections. Look into the socket ang for burnt wires. Probsbly not the regulator.

Pulled the alternator plug at the relay board, looked solid nothing appeared to be burnt. Cleaned off the terminals plugged back in and no improvement.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.