Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear shocks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tat2dphreak
any tricks to replacing the rear shocks? anything I should watch for?

I'm pulling the KYBs and putting on Bils this weekend... are pre-loaded springs better than the shorter ones?
MarkG
A fairly easy job, need a spring compressor. My Bilsteins had 5 slots to adjust the height. I put mine on 3rd slot from the bottom, which was very low. Shop that did my alignment moved it up 1 notch.

The lower bolts are a bit tricky if you have a sway bar, but job should take a couple hours.
URY914
Don't just remove that nut off the top of the shock in the trunk and let the trailing arm drop. You need to put a jack or block up the trailing arm before you remove the nut. That trailing arm is heavy. wacko.gif

Paul
tat2dphreak
cool, I looked it over, looked easy, I have a compresser, and an air ratchet to tighten... just didn't want anything sneaking up on me wink.gif

I have short 100-120lb springs and stock 100lb springs, the short springs won't preload except at the TOP bilstien setting... should I use the stock ones, or the shorter ones? and should the short ones be on the top setting?
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jul 1 2005, 11:58 AM)
Don't just remove that nut off the top of the shock in the trunk and let the trailing arm drop. You need to put a jack or block up the trailing arm before you remove the nut. That trailing arm is heavy. wacko.gif

Paul

glad you reminded me, I can see my dumb-ass forgetting that.! thanks!!
echocanyons
Feeding the bolt through the trailing arm can be tricky be careful not to mash the threads.
Joe Bob
Use a jack under the arms to lift and then feed the bolt thru....consider putting on some D rings for tie downs if you ever trailer it....
Andyrew
Jack up the back, put a jackstand under the trailing arm... give it a couple inches of clearance so the shock/spring assembly will come out... Take off the nut on the bottom of the shock, use an impact wrench to take the one off the top... use a mallet or such to get the bottom bolt out of the way.. and bingo! all done.

ya.. you'll need a spring compressor.. and you'll hate it...
spare time toys
QUOTE (Manfred Z @ Jul 1 2005, 12:27 PM)
Use a jack under the arms to lift and then feed the bolt thru....consider putting on some D rings for tie downs if you ever trailer it....

I got some of them here if you want. Just let me know Larry
qa1142
Took me ~1 hr to change my OEM's today to same setup you bought

I have Hyper coil coil overs with #125

Went easy. set ride hight

Billstiens rock
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Jul 1 2005, 01:16 PM)
QUOTE (Manfred Z @ Jul 1 2005, 12:27 PM)

I got some of them here if you want. Just let me know Larry

idea.gif cool, that's a great idea, I'll send you a pm Larry! thanks.

if I do not use pre-load springs how do you keep them lined up on the top "perch"?
ClayPerrine
zip ties.. tie the springs to the plates.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 1 2005, 02:31 PM)

ohmy.gif and just leave them? or what?
Andyrew
Yup.. zip tie the top of the spring to the plate... You could do the bottom one's as well.. but I bet they'd break.

Keeps things in line... ie extra protection.

jhadler
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jul 1 2005, 11:37 AM)
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 1 2005, 02:31 PM)

ohmy.gif and just leave them? or what?

Of course! It's not like there are any serious loads in that direction that you need to worry about.

I have Koni's with the adjustable threaded collar, and with the car jacked off the ground, the bottom of the coil is a couple inches above the saddle. Once the car is back on the ground, no worries...

-Josh2
tat2dphreak
I get the D rings from larry in a bit, but they will have to wait to be installed... because the rear shocks are DONE!! it took me longer to load the new springs onto the shocks than it did to swap the shocks... the only pain was removing the brake and rotor to get to the bottom bolt. took about 2 hours for everything... not counting the time spent with the guy down the way... he used to have 914s and 911s that he auto-x'd with but is now working on a Triumph TR-6... sweet ride, and a great guy!

oh, if anyone needs some KYBs with good springs, lmk... these springs are weltmeister and still have the printing on them... I think they are only 100# springs though...
Rusty
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jul 2 2005, 01:12 PM)
I get the D rings from larry in a bit, but they will have to wait to be installed... because the rear shocks are DONE!! it took me longer to load the new springs onto the shocks than it did to swap the shocks... the only pain was removing the brake and rotor to get to the bottom bolt. took about 2 hours for everything... not counting the time spent with the guy down the way...

Removing brake and rotor for access to the bottom bolt? unsure.gif Uhhh, do you have some radical custom suspension or something?

-L
redshift
you don't have to do anything to hold the spring in, if you don't mind a little spirited driving to pop them back in after you lower the car.

M
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Lawrence @ Jul 2 2005, 02:23 PM)
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jul 2 2005, 01:12 PM)
I get the D rings from larry in a bit, but they will have to wait to be installed... because the rear shocks are DONE!! it took me longer to load the new springs onto the shocks than it did to swap the shocks... the only pain was removing the brake and rotor to get to the bottom bolt. took about 2 hours for everything... not counting the time spent with the guy down the way...

Removing brake and rotor for access to the bottom bolt? unsure.gif Uhhh, do you have some radical custom suspension or something?

-L

huh.gif I didn't have the right size wrench, so, I was able to get to it with a socket, but only after removing the rotor... but I thought about turning the bolt around to where the nut would be on the inside... easier to get to the next time... are they supposed to be that way to begin with?
Joe Bob
Shheeesh....I used a crescenthammer.... cool_shades.gif
Rusty
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jul 2 2005, 03:10 PM)
huh.gif  I didn't have the right size wrench, so, I was able to get to it with a socket, but only after removing the rotor... but I thought about turning the bolt around to where the nut would be on the inside... easier to get to the next time... are they supposed to be that way to begin with?

Yeah, the nut is on the outside, but I used an crescent wrench. The nut needs to be on the outside. On cars with a rear sway bar, the drop link connects to a ball on the end of that bolt.

-L
ClayPerrine
I just reach into my toolbox and grab the right sized open end wrench......

Then I beat it with a hammer to loosen the bolt. smash.gif biggrin.gif
Rusty
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 2 2005, 03:33 PM)
I just reach into my toolbox and grab the right sized open end wrench......

That's cause you're an elitist geek... who would never deign to use a crescent wrench. biggrin.gif
ClayPerrine
Actually a cresent wrench is my favorite tool........

tat2dphreak
yea, with my brilliant organization skillz and complete abundance of space in my 1 car apt. garage(can't open either door 100% without hitting a wall)... I couldn't find my big crecent, and it was faster to pull the rotor than look for it...

but at least I have an ASSLOAD of parts that are ready to be put on when the time come(seats, door panels, the engine and tranny are still out waiting on parts, an extra engine(1.8 that appears to have blown more oil than a hooker on the Exxon Valdez, that will be my practice rebuild), upper and lower dash, all 4 wheels... you get the picture, my garage is a fuckin' wreck!

despite all that, it was an easy job!

here lately it seems like I can't get anything done... I take 1 step forward, and find 2 other project that have to be done before I'm road worthy... it's good to say "weel, that's behind me" even if it was a small chore...

thanks!
beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
you'll still have enough room for those little metal tabs. they should be there tues.

k
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Jul 2 2005, 06:23 PM)
you'll still have enough room for those little metal tabs. they should be there tues.

k

smilie_pokal.gif thanks!! that's one of the things I need before the engine goes back in... the real hold out is dowel pins for the flywheel(from HPH) and the little t/o arm bushing(pelican) is what's keeping the engine and tranny out... I already have my new tranny mounts from paragon...

once I get these parts, I can get the tranny and engine back together, and back into the car... after that I still need to find some sheet metal to weld up the rust spots and weld them in, then I can paint the floor pan, put the new cables and pedal assembly in, and then put the interior pieces in... which will free up a LOT if space... then I just need to do the front suspension(shocks, ball joints, and tie rods(which I guess I'll have to break down and have a shop do, so they can align them at the same time...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.