Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ticking turned to knocking (VIDEO)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CoronaMike
Hi all -

help! ok - so, had some weird problems today. Which started with the gas pedal sticking at like 75-80 mph on the freeway. I pulled off the fwy and unstuck the pedal - but did it a couple more times on side streets on the way home.

But before i made it home - i noticed the engine started making a ticking or pinging sound. Then i got home and let it rest in the garage - but when i came back an hour or 2 later to start it up again - it started making this loud knocking sound. Now I'm more worried about the engine than the pedal sticking. (74 1.8 Ljet)

Here's a link to a video of me starting the car

Any help would be much appreciated. smile.gif Thanks everyone!

mike
ndfrigi
hoping just the valve since it is ticking only when u drive home and got worse when you started it again inside your garage. Try opening both valve cover and inspect.

falcor75
You might also want to do a compression test and see if that gives any further clues.
bdstone914
@CoronaMike

Mike,
Isolate which head it is coming from. Use a hose like a stethoscope.
At best a rocker shaft came loose. At worst a rod knock.
Pull the valve covers and look at the height of the valves when closed. If you dropped a seat that valve will be highet than the others.
I am in Riverside and could take a look at it. PM me your phone number.
Bruce

bdstone914
Oops
barefoot
That clunk right at the end almost sounds like the flywheel is getting loose.
I had to re-torque mine when still on engine stand.
CoronaMike
Yikes - well - i'm hoping for the best. Ok - sounds like i'm going to be checking out the valves.

Bruce - thanks for reaching out - I'll definitely contact you. smile.gif

Thanks guys!

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.