Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Hagerty Article:
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914_7T3
Why the Porsche 914 still puts a grin on your face

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/art...in-on-your-face
TargaToy
I think Hagerty is getting a lot of mileage out of that green car with rear flares and variations of the interview/story.

Isn't that the same one from the "Why I Drive" series?
Unobtanium-inc
The 914 gets shit on by a lot of Porsche guys, I hear my fair share of trash talking. I always ask one question and the answer is usually the same.
"Have you ever driven a 914?"

The answer is almost always no. I tell all the nay-sayers, go drive one, and come back and tell me how lame it is, how much of a VW it is, etc etc. A couple of times guys have actually taken the advice and come back smiling.
TargaToy
I hope the nay-sayers don't actually read the article the OP linked. I just checked it out further and it's full of all kinds of misinformation--including a reference to a "straight six" motor being dropped from the lineup for 1973.

Made me miss my old '68 Chevy C10 a bit. biggrin.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Nov 6 2019, 09:23 AM) *

The 914 gets shit on by a lot of Porsche guys, I hear my fair share of trash talking. I always ask one question and the answer is usually the same.

The answer is almost always no. I tell all the nay-sayers, go drive one, and come back and tell me how lame it is, how much of a VW it is, etc etc. A couple of times guys have actually taken the advice and come back smiling.

It's funny that the "Porsche guys" crap on the 914 since a lot of the older Porsche race car drivers, engine builders and gurus really like the car. Look at Margie Smith-Haas. She raced Porsche 911 RSR's at the top pro level, owns a hot 914-6 and is one of us. driving.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 6 2019, 06:51 AM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Nov 6 2019, 09:23 AM) *

It's funny that the "Porsche guys" crap on the 914 since a lot of the older Porsche race car drivers, engine builders and gurus really like the car. Look at Margie Smith-Haas. She raced Porsche 911 RSR's at the top pro level, owns a hot 914-6 and is one of us. driving.gif

It's like the guys who drive turbo's and always ask why I drive a go-kart 356? I always ask them is it funner to drive a slow car fast, or a fast car slow. Where other then the track are you even going to get the full feeling of a turbo. But a 914 or a 356 you can push it hard going to the store, finding all kinds of limits.
thelogo
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Nov 6 2019, 06:41 AM) *

I hope the nay-sayers don't actually read the article the OP linked. I just checked it out further and it's full of all kinds of misinformation--including a reference to a "straight six" motor being dropped from the lineup for 1973.

Hagerty insurance an magazine
Are a bunch of asshats

piratenanner.gif i speak from long experience

And if your hagerty insured ... Dont ever drive to work or the golfcourse or a bar . voids your coverage

So stupid screwy.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(thelogo @ Nov 6 2019, 07:03 AM) *

Are a bunch of asshats

And if your hagerty insured ... Dont ever drive to work or the golfcourse or a bar . voids your coverage

So stupid screwy.gif

Dude....someday surprise the hell out of us and not make a gadfly comment.

If you drive your car to a bar.....your insurance probably isn't the first thing you should worry about. Same goes to driving it to a golf course by the driving range.

Tell us something good.
thelogo
QUOTE(914_teener @ Nov 6 2019, 12:08 PM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Nov 6 2019, 07:03 AM) *

Are a bunch of asshats

So stupid screwy.gif

Dude....someday surprise the hell out of us and not make a gadfly comment.

If you drive your car to a bar.....your insurance probably isn't the first thing you should worry about. Same goes to driving it to a golf course by the driving range.

Tell us something good.

You can call me : the dude

wub.gif I understand when your wife tells you what to do with the car ...

But some insurance guy in a cubicle
That is the stuff that blows my mind .

i got my car to actually drive it
And no destination is off limits.

And when i drive the only mid engine car that can swallow 2 golf bags
(Something tells me thats not mentioned in the article) . you bet your ass i take it to the driveing range ....(and drink something cold.)

And every guy in a taildragger thats worth 10x my car
Has the clubs in the front seats

I deal in reality man
bkrantz
Good to see an enthusiastic 914 article, but it is full of silly mistakes, like claiming the early DRIVER seat did not adjust. Seems like it was written by someone without real expertise--too bad.
kkid
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Nov 6 2019, 07:04 PM) *

Good to see an enthusiastic 914 article, but it is full of silly mistakes, like claiming the early DRIVER seat did not adjust. Seems like it was written by someone without real expertise--too bad.

Agreed, green wasn't a choice of the Limited Editions from the factory.

The Grasshoppers were built by someone else.

914Toy
Given Hagerty's wide audience, I think this is a very positive article for our cars, in spite of the few detail accuracies. beerchug.gif
Rufus
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Nov 6 2019, 07:23 AM) *

...and ...

@unobtainium-inc “It's like the guys who drive turbo's and always ask why I drive a go-kart 356? I always ask them is it funner to drive a slow car fast, or a fast car slow. Where other then the track are you even going to get the full feeling of a turbo. But a 914 or a 356 you can push it hard going to the store, finding all kinds of limits.”

Wasn’t it either Peter Gregg or Hurley Haywood who was attributed to have suggested the fun in driving a one trick pony, point and squirt, kinda car grows old quickly, but a responsive car that handles well never gets boring? Having experienced a number of cars that would accelerate pretty hard (including a 930 and an ERA Cobra), I realized there’s a practical limit for street driving. It’s more fun being able to hold it wide open for longer without worrying about landing in jail, the hospital, or worse. I decided it’s more fun to experience the fun of a car that responds, almost intuitively, to all driver inputs ... not only acceleration, but also braking, cornering and transitions. So now my all time favorites are the 914 and the Honda CRX (a lotta fun for a FWD platform).
TargaToy
QUOTE(Rufus @ Mar 8 2020, 04:18 PM) *

...and ...

@unobtainium-inc “It's like the guys who drive turbo's and always ask why I drive a go-kart 356? I always ask them is it funner to drive a slow car fast, or a fast car slow. Where other then the track are you even going to get the full feeling of a turbo. But a 914 or a 356 you can push it hard going to the store, finding all kinds of limits.”

Wasn’t it either Peter Gregg or Hurley Haywood who was attributed to have suggested the fun in driving a one trick pony, point and squirt, kinda car grows old quickly, but a responsive car that handles well never gets boring? Having experienced a number of cars that would accelerate pretty hard (including a 930 and an ERA Cobra), I realized there’s a practical limit for street driving. It’s more fun being able to hold it wide open for longer without worrying about landing in jail, the hospital, or worse. I decided it’s more fun to experience the fun of a car that responds, almost intuitively, to all driver inputs ... not only acceleration, but also braking, cornering and transitions. So now my all time favorites are the 914 and the Honda CRX (a lotta fun for a FWD platform).

I'll go along with that. I had an 87 CRX Si which was one of my very favorites next to the 914,
Rufus
Conrad, mine was also an ‘87 Si. In fact, I currently have a different low mile ‘87 Si w/ a Mugen LSD that’s in need of a transmission rebuild. (‘Life’ got in the way ‘big time’.)

Now back to 914’s ...
injunmort
aside from the non adjustable drivers seat, my only question is, what year did they start offering the strait 6?
rhodyguy
What's with the fixed SEATS stuff? dry.gif
VegasRacer
The last line of the article:
Careful, your face might get stuck that way.

It is a common symptom for 914 drivers.
We call it 'permagrin'. biggrin.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Mar 8 2020, 02:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Rufus @ Mar 8 2020, 04:18 PM) *

...and ...

I'll go along with that. I had an 87 CRX Si which was one of my very favorites next to the 914,

agree.gif

Loved my Red '90 CRX Si....was stolen and never recovered. That's when I went German with a Corrado G60 driving.gif
brcacti
QUOTE(thelogo @ Nov 6 2019, 08:03 AM) *

Are a bunch of asshats

So stupid screwy.gif

Is that really true?, are they THAT picky where you drive? I don't have hagerty ins.

buck toenges
What is going on with the back end?Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
bbrock
QUOTE(brcacti @ Mar 8 2020, 05:32 PM) *

Are a bunch of asshats

So stupid screwy.gif

Is that really true?, are they THAT picky where you drive? I don't have hagerty ins.

No.

KELTY360
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 9 2020, 07:43 AM) *

QUOTE(brcacti @ Mar 8 2020, 05:32 PM) *

Are a bunch of asshats

So stupid screwy.gif

No.

agree.gif I’ve had Hagerty for over 30 years and they’ve been fair and responsive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.