Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Difficulty/cost of adding an oil cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Thunderchief
My buddy is considering buying a half finished 914 project car that will need a few things including an oil cooler for the 3.2 six. What do shops usually charge for parts and labor generally for this, ballpark? Thanks.
mepstein
You can do it for $500 - $3,000. To do it right, plan on a minimum of $1,400 for parts and I’m guessing 8+ hours for labor.
thelogo
QUOTE(Thunderchief @ Nov 6 2019, 02:49 PM) *

My buddy is considering buying a half finished 914 project car that will need a few things including an oil cooler for the 3.2 six. What do shops usually charge for parts and labor generally for this, ballpark? Thanks.

Thats good you asked here ...but if you have to ask
You have no idea what your getting into /doing
Finishing up half built /6 s is not for the inexperienced.underfunded or indecisive

Shops dont work on old ass cars like this anymore

Your setting your self up to get ripped off if you ever take it to a shop .... Its not a camry wtf

And you do realize your engines survival depends upon the oiling and cooling system being just right
David Billo
LOL! Gotta love a forum.
Tdskip
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 6 2019, 05:54 PM) *

You can do it for $500 - $3,000. To do it right, plan on a minimum of $1,400 for parts and I’m guessing 8+ hours for labor.

^^^ this.

Ben makes good bits for the conversion, worth sending him a PM to get connected.

@mb911

There is a lot more to it than the oil cooler BTW, does your friend have a build plan in place?
mepstein
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Nov 6 2019, 07:33 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 6 2019, 05:54 PM) *

^^^ this.

Ben makes good bits for the conversion, worth sending him a PM to get connected.

@mb911

There is a lot more to it than the oil cooler BTW, does your friend have a build plan in place?

I agree. Talk to Ben / 914-6Werkshop.com There are many good shops that can install an oil system. It’s a pretty simple setup that has been done for decades. Very similar to what’s used in 911’s with some mods to fit a 914.
porschetub
Mark said it all,very expensive process,fitting and hose's really add up cost ,don't go metric as AN is so much cheaper and you can get conversion adaptors from Elephant Racing,I payed the price in a big way with metric because when purchased I had most of them but payed dearly for the rest.
The right cooler and thermostat and hard/ soft lines are not chump change by any means.
Fitment of oil lines is not beyond DIY but lots of research needed to see how its best done,@ a shop it will be costly so select the right shop with experience...do it once and right.
Thunderchief
Good point. I'll shoot Ben a message and get his input.

@mb911

[/quote]
mb911
It all depends on what the goal is.. There are plenty of kits out there.. Most of my stuff is meant to look close to original. You could do everything much cheaper with all AN fittings etc but won't look close to correct. My website is www.914-6werkshop.com
sixnotfour
here is a kit ....for example only, never used one of these..
$2180 does not include the oil cooler and ducting
https://www.elephantracing.com/oil-cooling/...r-plumbing-kit/

another $885 for oil cooler and ducting
https://patrickmotorsports.com/collections/...14-207-m491-pms

lots of different options,, $$$
GregAmy
Street car? I suggest an under-rear-trunk cooler would be perfectly fine. And easy. And not terrible expensive.

http://www.tangerineracing.com/remotecooler.htm
ChrisFoley
I have kits for 4 cyl engines but nothing designed to go with a -6.
Tdskip
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Nov 7 2019, 09:24 AM) *

Street car? I suggest an under-rear-trunk cooler would be perfectly fine. And easy. And not terrible expensive.

As Chris indicated, great kits but not adequate for a 3.2 (or really anything over a 2.2 although there is debate there to some extent from what I have found).
Cairo94507
There are many ways to do this. But for what it is worth, doing it right and once is the best plan in my book. I like Ben's SS lines and products. There are oil coolers available and plumbing it to the front trunk, though a bit more work and expense, I believe is the best solution so you never have overheating issues. If you have time, take look at part two of my build thread to see a finished set up. beerchug.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Nov 7 2019, 09:24 AM) *

I talked to 2 guys at WCR with 3.2’s thT had a rear trunk cooler and moved it to the front since the rear wasn’t enough for spirited driving. I did a front cooler with a fan from the start because I didn’t want to get into a traffic jam and wish I had a front cooler. Porsche did the front cooler on all the 912 3.2’s.
ClayPerrine
I have a hot 4.0 in my six conversion. I use two 964 oil coolers mounted in the rear with the transmission. The engine has not exceeded 220 degrees since installation. But it has not seen a Texas summer yet.

With the 2.4S motor in the same car, I had a 911 Carrera cooler mounted in the right rear behind the wheel. Nothing was ever run up front. The cooler dropped the engine temp more than 30 degrees and kept the engine cool on a hot Texas summer day.

But remember, oil coolers only work when there is a temperature differential between the air and the oil. If the air temp around the trans is 250 degrees, an oil cooler the size of a semi truck radiator mounted there won't drop the temp below 250 degrees. So airflow is paramount. Get the air moving out from under the car, taking the heat with it.

Good luck.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the oil cooler is best mounted in the front trunk just like the factory did it back then to the 916 and the 914-6 GT cars. Patrick Motorsports sells a good kit

The 3.2 MUST have one when installed in the 914. Largest six cylinder 911 engine in a 914 that can go without one is. 2.4

QUOTE(Thunderchief @ Nov 6 2019, 03:49 PM) *

mb911
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 7 2019, 07:31 AM) *

the oil cooler is best mounted in the front trunk just like the factory did it back then to the 916 and the 914-6 GT cars. Patrick Motorsports sells a good kit

The 3.2 MUST have one when installed in the 914. Largest six cylinder 911 engine in a 914 that can go without one is. 2.4

QUOTE(Thunderchief @ Nov 6 2019, 03:49 PM) *

That said my GT lines look factory
wes
I used Ben’s lines, Ben/Oscar’s bumper (great looks) and Patrick Motorsport’s kit with their plastic valence. Not cheep but to me it’s a guaranty for unexpected stop and go traffic on hot extremely hot weather.
scallyk9
I've got '74 with a 3.2L ('87 Carerra motor with MFI) and a under-trunk mounted cooler. I think it depends a lot on your purpose for the car and where you live. The highest temp I have seen was 215 degrees when stopped in traffic for around 20 minutes on a 90 degree sunny day. That said, we will be adding a fan during the current transaxle swap.
thelogo
Not cheep but to me it’s a guaranty for unexpected stop and go traffic on hot extremely hot weather.
[/quote]

I like this crowd here . pumping oil with coolers
Instead of water and guarenteed to stay cool .

Keeping it a porsche wub.gif

Tdskip

I like this crowd here . pumping oil with coolers
Instead of water and guarenteed to stay cool .

Keeping it a porsche wub.gif

To be generous, that is a very myopic statement.
Tdskip
@Thunderchief - sent a PM to make sure your / your friend are all set here and getting coaching and resources/introductions as needed.
GeorgeRud
Ben’s kit makes it a straightforward project that follows the factory’s engineering. A front cooler is always the preferable solution as once it’s installed, you’re done. When I did my conversion, I used AN fittings and Aeroquip lines (the only available option at the time), but the engineering and fabricating time wouldn’t be worth it now that a solution is easily available.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.