Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dash Radio Plates
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
I had 6 radio plates out today. I wanted to show the frustration involved in using them. 1-3 are factory plates 4-6 are aftermarket. Note that 5,6 are cut straight at the top and DO NOT have the indention. 1-3 are factory thickness .60mm Aftermarket ones ranged from 1.60mm for #4, 1.35mm for #5 and 1.25mm for #6. NONE of the current reproductions I have tested are the correct thickness. Why can't anybody get out a caliper and get the thickness right?

Next up is the problem of the holes. The holes are all over the place. 1 and 2(3 is a hacked job) are for early Blaupunkt radios. There is two versions of them. One has small shaft mounting holes for chrome nose piece and large ones for the indented face plate cover. 4,5,6 are for larger faced radios. Shafts holes and face holes are in different locations on all the 6 dash plate shown. Took some random pictures of the different plates stacked on each other.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 7 2019, 11:35 AM) *

NONE of the current reproductions I have tested are the correct thickness. Why can't anybody get out a caliper and get the thickness right

The factory sheetmetal is metric gauge, the aftermarket would be in commom US gauge. Same situation in repro body panels except that a tiny bit thicker isn't something to fret over.

#1 looks galvanized, which would not be factory.
bretth
Good to know. Thanks for the info share.
914Sixer
1 and 3 are galvanized. 2 is painted. All 3 are factory pieces. It just depended on who was supplying that part.
JawjaPorsche
I am confused. How can they be factory pieces when radios were installed by the dealers.
GregAmy
Buy one of these and "drive your car".

https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/r...e-leatherette-1
914Sixer
Simple answer is the dealer installation kit from Porsche.
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Nov 7 2019, 04:18 PM) *

So was the "radio delete" plate to cover the hole made by a prior owner (dealer) installing a radio?
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 7 2019, 04:35 PM) *

Simple answer is the dealer installation kit from Porsche.

Did Porsche insist that dealers use the kit or was it up to each dealer to use or not?
914Sixer
Cars could be ordered with radio installation package from factory. Dealer simply installed the radio. Antenna and speakers were already in place from factory. Porsche had installation kits for Blaupunkt and Becker. Check page 450 of PET
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 7 2019, 04:48 PM) *

Cars could be ordered with radio installation package from factory. Dealer simply installed the radio. Antenna and speakers were already in place from factory. Porsche had installation kits for Blaupunkt and Becker. Check page 450 of PET

So I "assume" that if the dealer didn't order the car with the radio installation package from the factory that they were free to install a radio as they (or the buyer) wanted?
914Sixer
Yes any radio they wanted.
Mikey914
QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Nov 7 2019, 04:37 PM) *

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Nov 7 2019, 04:18 PM) *

So was the "radio delete" plate to cover the hole made by a prior owner (dealer) installing a radio?

Yes

And for one with holes (DIN or factory) they are here -
https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/r...e-leatherette-1

We did use a slightly thicker gauge metal so the DIN plates mount better.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we make three for the 914

1 factory blaupunkt frankfurt radio face plate, larger shaft holes rounded center cutout

2 aftermarket radio, smaller shaft holes rectangular cut opening for the radio head

3 DIN cut big retangular hole for the later radios

Then the covering: 70-74 brick weave. 75-76 basket weave.

we also still have a few plastic face plates for the motorola dealer installed radios
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.