Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New 914 Driver - Clutch Feel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jclanin
Hi all,

I'm currently in the market for a 914. I've driven a few '75 2.0 cars (although it's been quite a while) and a '74 1.8 just today.

The '74 is a very well sorted car with a recent engine rebuild and a new clutch (reputable shop).

Engine sounds great and pulls strong (for a 914 1.8:). My question is about the clutch feel. The clutch is very light compared to my '87 911 3.2 which is not surprising. But starting off in 1st is a bit odd. It just seems like there's not much 'bite' to the clutch engagement point thus I feel like have have to keep the gas pedal down a good bit to confidently 'launch' the car. All other shifts seem fine. It's just starting off in 1st.

I realize there could be MANY factors to this 'feel' - but I'm really just here to find out if that 1st gear / clutch engagement is normal in these cars. I just don't have enough experience to tell.

I'll post many more details about the car if I go further with the sale.

thanks!

Jim Clanin
thelogo
No insult intended but my mechanic says that this is how so many clutches get burned up .

Try shifting .not from 1st but other gears
Ala carrera gt style by letting the clutch completely out and inguageing the gear before hitting the gas .
(Semi abruptly)
As opposed to always trying to blend the perfect amount of clutch and gas combination.
After you master that ... You will have alot better idea about clutch and 1st gear poke.gif
Your clutch will last longer and you will have more
"Control" of the car
Quicker /abruptly/release /better for clutch
Slow release more wear on clutch

And i had a ca 1.7 and now the big /4
I dont ever recall launching the car and i drive plenty fast and furious . so 914s dont ( launch ) that im aware of

Certainly not in 1st ....
Never abuse 1st gear
jclanin
QUOTE(thelogo @ Nov 7 2019, 05:14 PM) *

No insult intended but my mechanic says that this is how so many clutches get burned up .

Try shifting .not from 1st but other gears
Ala carrera gt style by letting the clutch completely out and inguageing the gear before hitting the gas .
As opposed to always trying to blend the perfect amount of clutch and gas combination.
After you master that ... You will have alot better idea about clutch and 1st gear poke.gif
Your clutch will last longer and you will have more
"Control" of the car

And i had a ca 1.7 and now the big /4
I dont ever recall launching the car and i drive plenty fast and furious . so 914s dont ( launch ) that im aware of

I definitely was not feathering the clutch/gas. It was just my interpretation of how the clutch felt - no bite. So again, is that they typical feel of these cars when engaging first gear?

And of course I only use 'launch' as the description of starting from zero...
dr914@autoatlanta.com
good that is the way it is supposed to be!!!!!!

Just test drove (earlier today) a 49,000 original mile pristine 88 targa. Could not believe how heavy the clutch felt! (and this is a hydraulic clutch much lighter than the 915). Just had been so used to the joy of the light clutch, light steering, light shifting, light accelerator 914. The lightness and open air feeling is one of the reasons everyone loves the car so much

QUOTE(jclanin @ Nov 7 2019, 03:05 PM) *

Hi all,

I'm currently in the market for a 914. I've driven a few '75 2.0 cars (although it's been quite a while) and a '74 1.8 just today.

The '74 is a very well sorted car with a recent engine rebuild and a new clutch (reputable shop).

Engine sounds great and pulls strong (for a 914 1.8:). My question is about the clutch feel. The clutch is very light compared to my '87 911 3.2 which is not surprising. But starting off in 1st is a bit odd. It just seems like there's not much 'bite' to the clutch engagement point thus I feel like have have to keep the gas pedal down a good bit to confidently 'launch' the car. All other shifts seem fine. It's just starting off in 1st.

I realize there could be MANY factors to this 'feel' - but I'm really just here to find out if that 1st gear / clutch engagement is normal in these cars. I just don't have enough experience to tell.

thanks!

Jim Clanin

thelogo
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 7 2019, 02:29 PM) *

good that is the way it is supposed to be!!!!!!

Just test drove (earlier today) a 49,000 original mile pristine 88 targa. Could not believe how heavy the clutch felt! (and this is a hydraulic clutch much lighter than the 915). Just had been so used to the joy of the light clutch, light steering, light shifting, light accelerator 914. The lightness and open air feeling is one of the reasons everyone loves the car so much

QUOTE(jclanin @ Nov 7 2019, 03:05 PM) *

Hi all,

thanks!

Jim Clanin

agree.gif

theer
No offense intended.. and I know you've driven 914's before.. but.. and here goes.. are you sure you were in 1st gear?

It always takes me a few minutes to re-train my brain for the left & down to 1st when I haven't driven the 914 in a while.

jclanin
QUOTE(theer @ Nov 7 2019, 06:15 PM) *

No offense intended.. and I know you've driven 914's before.. but.. and here goes.. are you sure you were in 1st gear?

It always takes me a few minutes to re-train my brain for the left & down to 1st when I haven't driven the 914 in a while.

No offense taken what-so-ever smile.gif

Yeah, it definitely took me a bit to get the hang of it and I definitely did try to start off one time in third. So I totally get it where you are coming from. But the times I did start off correctly in 1st were my only questionable moments with the car. Otherwise it was quite an enjoyable experience.
ndfrigi
I’m sure you know it is on 1st gear. Typically should be the same with other stick shift in terms of clutch pedal feel. If you release the clutch pedal around 1/4, it should engage already. Some like it almost half way of the pedal release. If more than half way and still car having a hard time pulling, maybe the clutch adjustment was tighten so much or something wrong with clutch disk/pressure.
bobboinski
I have 2 914's, a 1971 1.7 and a 1974 2.0. My 1971 is all original and the clutch feel is as you described. No real bite to the engagement of the clutch. The 2.0 is totally different, with a definite engagement point. The 1971 is my second 914 and after driving the 2.0 I just figured the clutch in the other car is close to needing replacement.
I know the clutch in the 2.0 is almost new as I have seen it. I'm just going to drive the other car until the clutch starts slipping, then replace it. But the difference in feel between the two cars is pretty amazing.
Jamie
QUOTE(bobboinski @ Nov 7 2019, 06:07 PM) *

I have 2 914's, a 1971 1.7 and a 1974 2.0. My 1971 is all original and the clutch feel is as you described. No real bite to the engagement of the clutch. The 2.0 is totally different, with a definite engagement point. The 1971 is my second 914 and after driving the 2.0 I just figured the clutch in the other car is close to needing replacement.
I know the clutch in the 2.0 is almost new as I have seen it. I'm just going to drive the other car until the clutch starts slipping, then replace it. But the difference in feel between the two cars is pretty amazing.

I suggest there are several factors that could cause variations in clutch engagement feel. When I replaced my master cylinder from 17mm original to available 19mm the clutch feel was quite different. Throw-out function, clutch adjustment, and other possibilities that are above my pay grade could also be factors.
bobboinski
QUOTE(Jamie @ Nov 7 2019, 07:24 PM) *

I suggest there are several factors that could cause variations in clutch engagement feel. When I replaced my master cylinder from 17mm original to available 19mm the clutch feel was quite different. Throw-out function, clutch adjustment, and other possibilities that are above my pay grade could also be factors.

The clutch isn't hydraulic.... 914 not 993
Jamie
QUOTE(bobboinski @ Nov 7 2019, 06:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Jamie @ Nov 7 2019, 07:24 PM) *

The clutch isn't hydraulic.... 914 not 993

Ooops, yes the brakes felt different too!
Mikey914
Good news is clutch replacement is a pretty simple process on our cars. You can do in an afternoon. You can easily adjust your clutch playing with the placement of the nut on the cable that is wrapped around the pulley.
As far as shifting, both tail shift and side shift should have a solid engagement when engaging each gear. The tail shift is notoriously more difficult to get right, but can shift just as well as the side shift with proper set up. It’s just more difficult.

Welcome to the sickness, there will always be something to tweek, but you will learn new things as you progress.
Fortunately for all of us we have world to ask these questions so our education can be less expensive / less aggravating.

lierofox
And here I sit having never driven a stock 914 before so I have absolutely no idea what it's SUPPOSED to feel like. When I got mine, the original 1.8L was destroyed due to a dropped valve seat so I went with the Subaru swap and the Kennedy 6500 228mm clutch kit. Wish I could have felt mine stock.
GeorgeRud
The 914 clutch is quite light (unless a different pressure plate was installed), but the 915 transmission’s clutch engagement was heavy enough that the Omega spring was installed to help relieve some of the pressure required. You might just want to watch to be sure the cable guide tube isn’t starting to fail at the firewall or in the center tunnel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.