Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In back of drivers seat lots of electronics, cleaned connections with pictures
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brcacti
Hello, I cleaned the connections, as many as I could including relay connections in here. My question is what wires in here could cause intermittent starting, some? all? one? I have noticed an improvement in cranking and starts up after I cleaned all these connections. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
bdstone914
Describe intermittent start.
Cranks but does not fire?
Does not turn over?
Does the fuel pump turn on?

The wire from the ignition switch that comes in on the forward multi pin connector and the same wire connection in the rear connector which is for the engine harness.
Also check the terminals on the starter solenoid and battery terminals.
Forward of the relay you show is a group ground. Remove and clean the contact to chassis and terminals. Looks like you are running carbs with the yellow jumper wire on the four terminal ground in the left bottom corner. That ground the fuel pump and operates it like the FI pump.
Bruce
brcacti
Hello Bruce............intermittent crank, when it cranks it always starts. No carbs but FI. I do have an add on starter relay on the car. Are you saying the yellow wire is from the ignition switch?
DickSteinkamp
That wiring looks strange to me, but I doubt if that is the no crank problem.

Clean the connections of both the big wire and the small wire at the starter. (disconnect battery first)

If that doesn't fix it, disconnect the small wire and connect it through a volt meter to ground. You should get a good 12-13 volts there when a helper turns the key to the start position. If you do, it's probably a bad starter. If not, a bad ignition switch or wiring problem from the switch to the starter.
brcacti
The upper left corner there is a gray thick fuse that the connections were all brown and the yellow wire bottom left connection looked old and worn too, I cleaned them as good as I could for tiny spaces.
ClayPerrine
From the picture, I can tell you have an L-Jet car. None of the relays or fuses on that fuse panel will cause an intermittent no start.

The most common cause of intermittent no start on a 914-4 is the ignition switch. The switch is a VW part and the majority of the replacement switches are aftermarket low quality switches.

Here's a way to confirm it. Make up a light socket, with a spade connector on one wire and a loop connector on the other. Hook the loop to the ground point just in front of the relay board. Hook the space connector to the rear connector on the 4 pin plug next to the yellow wire on the relay board. When you turn the key to start the car, the light will light up. See if the light comes on when you are having the problem.

I will bet it doesn't light up when you have the issue.

The second most common issue is the seatbelt interlock relay under the passenger seat. Remove the seat and take a look. There will be a big yellow wire and a big yellow/red stripe wire. Disconnect them the relay socket and splice them together. I recommend doing this even if its not the problem, because it will be the problem in the future if you don't do it now.

IPB Image
Clay
Tdskip
+1 for what’s clay wrote.

Probably good to check the actual starter wirignconnections at the starter too, just make sure to disconnect the battery first.
brcacti
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 9 2019, 06:01 AM) *

From the picture, I can tell you have an L-Jet car. None of the relays or fuses on that fuse panel will cause an intermittent no start.

The most common cause of intermittent no start on a 914-4 is the ignition switch. The switch is a VW part and the majority of the replacement switches are aftermarket low quality switches.

Here's a way to confirm it. Make up a light socket, with a spade connector on one wire and a loop connector on the other. Hook the loop to the ground point just in front of the relay board. Hook the space connector to the rear connector on the 4 pin plug next to the yellow wire on the relay board. When you turn the key to start the car, the light will light up. See if the light comes on when you are having the problem.

The second most common issue is the seatbelt interlock relay under the passenger seat. Remove the seat and take a look. There will be a big yellow wire and a big yellow/red stripe wire. Disconnect them the relay socket and splice them together. I recommend doing this even if its not the problem, because it will be the problem in the future if you don't do it now.

IPB Image
Clay

Hello Clay what is an L jet car fuel ingection?
I have not been able to find the middle part for the two yellow wires to plug into under the passenger seat do you know what the part is called and/or where I can get it? On the ignition switch, I just ordered one from auto atlanta, do you think that one will be high enough quality? I have another question, the yellow wire I cleaned the connection of in the fuse panel behind the drivers seat I think that is very important, maybe a hot wire part of the add on starter relay ????, It has been starting every time since I cleaned that and the others in that box.
Craigers17
QUOTE(brcacti @ Nov 9 2019, 07:58 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 9 2019, 06:01 AM) *

IPB Image
Clay

Hello Clay what is an L jet car fuel ingection?
I have not been able to find the middle part for the two yellow wires to plug into under the passenger seat do you know what the part is called and/or where I can get it? On the ignition switch, I just ordered one from auto atlanta, do you think that one will be high enough quality? I have another question, the yellow wire I cleaned the connection of in the fuse panel behind the drivers seat I think that is very important, maybe a hot wire part of the add on starter relay ????, It has been starting every time since I cleaned that and the others in that box.

Seems like I read in another one of your posts that you already connected the two large gauge yellow wires with a wire nut??? If that's the case, then you have already separated them from their original connectors. If that's true, you should probably just use an automotive grade heat shrink butt splice and splice the two wires together.

If you have since tried to reattach the old connectors, that might be a point of failure, depending upon your wiring skills.

If you decide to go the butt splice route and are unsure of the wire gauge size, you can buy an assorted set at your local FLAPS for about $15. In the same aisle, you can buy heat shrink if you want to go that route, in which case you'll need a heat gun.

Just my 2 cents...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-cV7sY-s80
914Sixer
Don't cut the wire ends. Get a spade connector and put the wires together. Slide heat shrink on before you start.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.