Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How I spent my Saturday morning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BeatNavy
Rather than get myself worked up holding my breath about Mikey914's world premier announcement I decided to tackle one of the truly fun body jobs on my driver this morning. Based on the mess below, care to guess what that was?

Click to view attachment
Retroracer
Hmmm.. Looks like 50 year old dried up foam leftovers - rear fender, up near the light housings maybe?

- Tony
BeatNavy
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Nov 9 2019, 01:48 PM) *

Hmmm.. Looks like 50 year old dried up foam leftovers - rear fender, up near the light housings maybe?

- Tony

Indeed! That was too easy, wasn't it dry.gif . Your prize is you get to hear Mark's announcement later today first.gif

Anyway, I can sleep better now knowing that rust has yet one less sanctuary to hide on my car. This is the second car I've done this to, and it keeps getting more and more fun. NOT.

Foam cleaned out of driver's side, but still some more cleanup to do, including removing the rest of the flaking, 47 year old undercoating.

Click to view attachment
trick-e
I’m all for fun, but don’t know the area you’re describing. Farthest upper end of the rear fender? Never knew there was foam other than in the sails.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(trick-e @ Nov 9 2019, 06:35 PM) *

I’m all for fun, but don’t know the area you’re describing. Farthest upper end of the rear fender? Never knew there was foam other than in the sails.

Yeah, there's a fair amount of foam under a layer of seam sealer that extends from the fender into the pointy area of the body above the brake light housing. There was some surface rust there after 40+ years, but I'm pleased overall. My other 914 had rusted right through in those areas because the foam and sealer had trapped moisture.

The things we do to keep these "entry level Porsches" on the road blink.gif
trick-e
Thanks for sharing. Another area for me to look at.
Retroracer
I recognized the debris field. smile.gif

Mine was similar, but made easier by the rusted out metal around the RR lights. I could scrape the gunk out easier - once the PO's bondo chunks had been cleared out - but the metal repair was then a little trickier (lots of compound curves there!)

- Tony
ClayPerrine
There is actually an easier way to remove it.

Carb Cleaner.

Just spray it up in the corner, and the foam melts and runs out of the fender.

BeatNavy
Yeah, I was wondering if there was an easier way, like spraying something up there. Shortly after I started the poking and prodding I thought "I should go post a question on 914Wolrd to see if there's a better way." Then I thought "Nah, you're making progress, keep going." headbang.gif
mepstein
There’s quite a few places where foam was injected into the chassis and I think even the rear edge of the rear lid. I’m going to try the carb cleaner on my parts car and see how it goes and what kind of mess it might make. Thanks for the tip.
TargaToy
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 10 2019, 07:18 AM) *

There is actually an easier way to remove it.

Carb Cleaner.

Just spray it up in the corner, and the foam melts and runs out of the fender.

Thanks for this tip. I’m gonna try it too.

The manual way is indeed zero fun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.