914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
barefoot
Shown here on Jay Leno's garage: Very slick for a very small hand held unit

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oBjXecsF860
Craigers17
QUOTE(barefoot @ Nov 9 2019, 03:45 PM) *

Shown here on Jay Leno's garage: Very slick for a very small hand held unit

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oBjXecsF860

Nice find.....very impressive. I added this image in another post, but seems most appropriate here.
Click to view attachment
raynekat
I'm getting a couple of these for both vintage Porsches I have.....
mepstein
QUOTE(raynekat @ Nov 9 2019, 05:29 PM) *

I'm getting a couple of these for both vintage Porsches I have.....

So am I.
Coondog
Sorry but I would never trust my car to this type of extinguisher. The element has no hose which means your hand and arm would get to close to the fire along with not being able to place the hose into all the hidden places in the engine bay.

Buy a Purple K Fire Extinguisher. They put out serious fuel and metal fires. So they leave a mess, OMG your cars on fire so who cares.

1. BC, Purple K dry chemical 5a 40bc
Pro’s: Best agents for car fires, higher ratings, economical, will not stick and corrode to hot surfaces.
Cons: It is a chemical (sodium or potassium bicarbonate) and will make a mess.
2. ABC dry chemical
Pro’s: Like BC and PK they are economical and have good firefighting capability with the addition of class A (wood, paper, plastics…).
Cons: They are a chemical (mono ammonium phosphate), will make a mess and will form a corrosive coating on anything over 350 degrees.
3. Clean agents Halon type
Pro’s: Clean agents do not leave any residue after use. They can put out a small, confined fire without making a mess. Particularly good for electrical fires behind dashes, interior fires…
Cons: In the sizes typically installed in cars they have a very low rating because they are gases and are greatly affected by air movement or wind… They are also very expensive to attain and recharge.

I do not recommend anything under 5a 40bc
40bc means it will put out 40 sq feet of a fuel fire.
You are trying to put out a fire before your car becomes a loss…right?
Don’t bring a knife to a gun fight. I carry 2 extinguishers in my 914. Purple K and Halon.
Yes you can still buy Halon, just not produce it.
Click to view attachment
BeatNavy
I think those are good points. And yet, this one is easy to mount or store somewhere accessible like the center console. It will work a lot better than the good quality one I purchased that I have been too lazy (or too stupid) to install in the car because I'm not sure where I really want to mount it. That one doesn't do a lot of good sitting in my garage when I have a fire out on the road.

I bought one of those BlazeCut ones a few years ago. Never mounted that one either dry.gif
mb911
@coondog what are your thoughts on blazecut? I am considering that on my car as a precaution
FlacaProductions
@BeatNavy - I'm with ya as I'm considering one of these as well. Easy to throw in the drivers arm rest. Isn't the best fire extinguisher the one you have with you?

The thing about Blazecut is that it's a one trick pony - it will probably do a great job of protecting your engine compartment but if there is a fire anywhere else (like someone else's car, etc..) you won't be able to help.
Larmo63
I have the large size Element in both of my cars.

I don't ever drive without it.
Coondog
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 10 2019, 07:50 AM) *

@coondog what are your thoughts on blazecut? I am considering that on my car as a precaution

Looks like a great system for putting out a fire before it gets to big. 914s with there tins really make this a two sided fire “top and bottom”. I want a Fire extinguisher that I can control meaning turn on and off. With the element and blaze cut your one and done. I want to put the fire out step back and if there’s a flare up then be able to keep fighting the fire.

You can get a nice Purple K on Amazon.
90quattrocoupe
Looks like this started out as a product called Fire Stryker in either the AU or South Africa. First video back in 2010. Original company sued by investors.
Bought out by someone else and now licensed in the USA as Element. Still being sold as Fire Stryler in South Africa and AU.
Have not been able to find any testimonial on whether or not someone as actually used one to put out a fire.

Greg W.

StratPlayer
Have one installed in my travel trailer
GregAmy
I can tell you, from recent direct experience, that when your car is on fire you're just gonna GTF out of it.

I have a Blazcut in the historics 914; I think installing one of those in the Prod car would have helped in the below situation.

https://youtu.be/wO6TwYRFS74?t=68
johnhora
Pelican has the H3R line on sale...I know they are expensive but if you will spend $200 on a new sail panel trim piece maybe this is not too much...have one of these sitting in the 914-6.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/Mini/catalog/s...1loOVkifQ%3D%3D
Coondog
Rated at 1bc. Great for electrical fires but that’s about it.
johnhora
From H3R site....

B FLAMMABLE LIQUIDS & GASES: gasoline, oils, paint lacquer and tar.
C FIRES INVOLVING LIVE ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT.

H3R Performance Class B:C extinguishers are most appropriate for the types of fires likely to occur in an automotive environment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.