Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Holy Sh*t....what a surprise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914_1.8t
I had seen some rust near on the back of the center crossmember (bar) and seat mounts and wanted to remove the tar and get to the rust and start repairing. Tried to poke and prod the tar off with a screwdriver and the screwdriver went through the floor.......I poked aroud some more and it is going through it like a knife through butter.
headbang.gif

So I decided to tug on the seat support a little and it came off...the bolts/mounting points have been eaten through by the rust. Looks like I will need to replace a major portion of the floor.....I havn't checked the drivers side yet. I'm going to put in some aftermarket (rx7) seats so I dont need the mounting points and the center crossbar gets in my way so I don't mind cutting that out and fabbing my own a little out in front of where the original is located.

The hell hole is pretty bad too......I bought the car on the spot and didn't inspect under rockers and such...PO mentioned he had gone in and cleaned up the interiror and rockers previously and needed to fix the hell hole chair.gif Otherwise, car looked good when I first saw it.

So what do I do? Can I just cut out the floor and weld in some sheetmetal? Any suggestion on what thickness?

I'm also thinking about cleaning out the center tunned....or maybe even doing away with it and makeing a new one with better access. Any ideas/suggestions welcomed.

Also, what is the common treatment for the hell hole? Replacement of factory parts or just use sheet metal?
ClayPerrine
Call pelican or restoration design and order the correct replacement panels. The floorboards have stiffeners stamped into them for extra rigidity that won't be there in a piece of plain sheet metal. Order the panel for the hell hole while you are there too.

Just my .02, but I believe if you do it right the first time, you won't have to go back later. Thus your car spends less time on jackstands and more time on the road. driving.gif
914_1.8t
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 1 2005, 10:48 AM)
Call pelican or restoration design and order the correct replacement panels. The floorboards have stiffeners stamped into them for extra rigidity that won't be there in a piece of plain sheet metal. Order the panel for the hell hole while you are there too.

Just my .02, but I believe if you do it right the first time, you won't have to go back later. Thus your car spends less time on jackstands and more time on the road. driving.gif

What's the ballpart figure on cost? Lots of things on pelican do not have prices listed:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca..._chasis_pg2.htm
Joe Bob
Parts are cheap....it's the labor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.