Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to ship alloy wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
frostyf
Hi,
wondered if anyone can offer some advice on the best and cheapest way to ship wheel rims cross country?

Who is the best courier to use and do you ship two rims to a box or each rim individually??

Ive tried a couple of searches on the world, and online there's advice to ship two rims per box??

Thank you in advance!

johnhora
I ship two at a time all the time...no problem via USPS, UPS, or Fedex
last ones I shipped went from US to Australia
I use boxes from UPS.
They are square and have a fold down side and wheels fit perfectly laying flat.
Couple of different sizes that will fit 15 , 16 or 17
I put another piece of box in between the two wheels.
Works out to about 30 to 40 lbs per box depending on size of wheels.
Chris914n6
To add to ^^ I wrap the faces with saran wrap so they don't get scratched. Cardboard will scruff paint.
Also put the faces towards each other just in case something gets poked into the box it won't hit the pretty side.

I also double box just because I don't want any kind of issue but most new wheels are single boxed with a little foam on the edges to absorb impacts from being dropped.
Coondog
Go to one of your bigger retail tire shops. They will have lots of boxes that rims were shipped to them in. Petty sure they we be more then happy to give them to you.
mepstein
I should neglect box but use the medium heavy duty boxes from the home stores. I tape enough to hold the box shut and then use the packing tape at FedEx because it’s way better than what is sold at the store. I use some extra cardboard to pad up the wheels in the box. Sign up for a free fedex account. It’s cheaper to ship and has a bunch of advantages.
rhodyguy
A roll of bubble wrap from UHaul. About $20. 17" wheel boxes from the tire store. FedEx account, ship from a distribution center if you can.
Unobtanium-inc
UPS or FEDEX ground, insure at full value.
Depending on how nice the rims are depends on how crazy you get. But when they are really nice here is what I do.
1. Cut circles in cardboard that are the same shape as the rim, tape them on the face of the rim.
2. Wrap bubble wrap on the inner part, where the tire would go, overlap on the front lip of the wheel. After 4-5 revolutions of the wheel tape this up, really good.
3. Do bubble wrap over the whole rim, alternating the part of the rim. Easiest way to do is to actually roll the wheel end over end. Then tape this up.
4. Put two wheels to a box, with cardboard in between. Tape bands around all three parts of the box.

When it comes to buying boxes, go to Home Depot, Lowes, or U-Uaul and get the Medium moving box, costs about $1 per box.

If it's a nice rim, it's better to go overboard than not pack well enough. We've shipped hundreds of FUCHS and never had a problem.

jmitro
use shipnerd.com to get the cheapest rate if you don't have a commercial account
914bub
I get two medium boxes from Home depot. Tape the bottom of one closed. Put the first rim in box with newspaper around edges and in corners. Saran wrap face of the wheel if you're worried about cardboard scratching wheel. Cut a square of cardboard the size of the inside of the box and place on top of the first wheel, put in the next wheel, repeat. when the stack of wheels is approaching the top of first box slide second box over the top of the first with both ends open. Continue stacking in wheels. When all the wheels are in the box tape top of the second box closed and slide the second box down so the top is tight against the stack of wheels. Tape the piss out of the two boxes clam shelled together.

I've been on ebay since January of 99 and have shipped several sets of wheels that way. I never once had an issue. This works well for 15 and 16 inch alloy wheels. I've even shipped five in a box that way. The only time I had an issue was trying to ship five that had an alloy center with a steel outer band. Those were too heavy to ship FedEx ground so I had to split them up. Get a FedEx account so you save $$. They claim up to a 20% savings on ground shipments.

I've never ever had a wheel damaged in transit and shipping in one package saved a lot of money for my customers.
frostyf
Thanks for all the advice will do some homework this afternoon load of good advice! If you're not working tomorrow - have a great veterans day!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.