Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve spring compressor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsaum
I have a few 1.8 heads I want to take apart and inspect. What is a good spring compressor tool to buy? I’m thinking about buying the Empi 5742 bench mount. Does anyone have experience using it?
Thanks,
Jsaum
Tbrown4x4
I've used similar valve spring compressors with good results. You have to support the valves with something soft while using it, because the locks can be very difficult to jar loose. Especially on an old head.

I have a small K-D spring compressor, and also a large C-clamp type you could borrow.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

The small one is slower, but more controllable. The big one can be a little awkward, but is quicker. I can either ship them or meet you in Tukwila or ?

@jsaum
jsaum
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Nov 10 2019, 08:13 AM) *

I've used similar valve spring compressors with good results. You have to support the valves with something soft while using it, because the locks can be very difficult to jar loose. Especially on an old head.

I have a small K-D spring compressor, and also a large C-clamp type you could borrow.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Thanks for the offer and input. I’ve got a Jones to buy some new tools! These seem like they would be easier to store when not in use.
Tbrown4x4
Oh yes. I'm a bit of a tool whore myself. I understand the NEED. haha

The EMPI probably breaks down flat. (Nevermind. The uprights are welded.)
injunmort
the $50.00 one from jbugs, like the one in the Haynes manual.
914werke
James I have the big C-clamp ver smile.gif
Superhawk996
agree.gif

If you're feeling crafty and already have a large C-clamp it can be modified to work!

The aluminum bits were turned up on a lathe out of scrap metal. Slots allow the retainers to be fished out.

Click to view attachment
jsaum
QUOTE(914werke @ Nov 10 2019, 11:27 AM) *

James I have the big C-clamp ver smile.gif

Rich,
Let me know when you got time I’ll swing by with the heads and take a look.
Thanks,
James
914werke
I was lazy yesterday so Im working today....?
jsaum
QUOTE(914werke @ Nov 10 2019, 12:51 PM) *

I was lazy yesterday so Im working today....?

The wife is working let me see what time she’ll be home. I probably can come by in a couple of hours.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.