Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 failed the Leak Down Test.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Dan
Only one cylinder.

I thought it may be a bit of carbon wedged in the exhaust valve seat, so I ran it up to temp and retested. NOW it's in the intake valve.

Rats.

Pulled the head, did a nice 3 angle valve job on the valves and seats for #2. Lapped, cleaned, reassembled.

STILL leaks at the intake valve. WTH?

I'm headed to a long cold winter here and have a heated garage. I want to pull the head again, cap the chamber with Plexiglas and introduce compressed air and oil via the spark plug hole, lets see where it blows out.

I'm certified Level II in Zyglo and Dye Penetrant, if there's a crack I can find it but nothing pops out with nekkid eyes. Where do I find another newish head?
Can seats be replaced? Where?

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks, Dan
Mark Henry
You might have a loose seat, take it apart and knock a seat about to see if it moves. If you have an oven heat it and the seat may fall out.
What engine? 1.7 are worst offenders for a loose seat.
Cracks are almost always between the seats or seat to plug hole. Wire brush that area, cracks are obvious, no dye needed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.