Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: original ? radio ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brcacti
Hello, can anyone tell me if THIS RADIO is one of the original porsche 914 radios ???
See pictureClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the cassette version of the becker was standard equipment in the 916, but there was not any option for the four cylinder nor six cylinder production cars.Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Yes it could have been a DEALER installed radio. No, for it being a FACTORY radio. I notice that the speaker plug has the dual splitter to make the mono radio work with two speakers.
brcacti
Ok, so would this qualify for being an original radio in a 914?
JeffBowlsby
What do you mean by 'original'?
johnhora
brcacti

The Becker Europa would be considered "period correct" for a 914..So Yes

It was a nice radio of the 70s and as mentioned dealers installed what ever they wanted that would fit the DIN whole slot.

It would make a nice radio for any 914.

Dr. Johnson's book shows that the 914-6 could be ordered with the Becker "Grand Prix" radio from the factory.
brcacti
Thanks guys, no further information is needed on this, the guy was trying to scam me with the price of $850, not even rebuilt. I told him its worth 1/3 of that.
JeffBowlsby
I have some euro price sheets that indicate that Euro 914s had many factory radio options:

Blaupunkt:
Wolfsburg
Braunschweig
Emden
Hannover
Boston
Frankfurt (for both USA and Euro markets)
Koln
New York

Becker:
Grand Prix
Mark Henry
Radios were dealer installed so there is no factory correct, just period correct.
In Canada the 914 was sold mostly by VW dealers so dealer correct here is an AudioVox radio. I can remember the VW dealer AudioVox display.

My '74 1.8 came with a AudioVox AM/FM cassette which would have been a hot ticket in it's day.
JeffBowlsby
I know we hear that radios were only dealer installed, but the euro market factory price sheets indicate them, with M- codes. Factory optional equipment, perhaps for euro market 914s only.

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/OpEq.htm
wes
I believe the dealers typically ordered the cars without radios and antennas in order to make $$ on the installation.
Rav914
You'd find that Becker in a Mercedes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.