Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In Tank Fuel Pumps?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dakotaewing
Looking for pics and examples of in tank fuel pump set ups from those that have them.
My application is a an LS V8, but I'm looking for solutions others have used regardless of their power plant.
A pump outside the tank is likely problematic for my application -
Thanks!
Mark Henry
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Nov 11 2019, 10:55 PM) *

Looking for pics and examples of in tank fuel pump set ups from those that have them.
My application is a an LS V8, but I'm looking for solutions others have used regardless of their power plant.
A pump outside the tank is likely problematic for my application -
Thanks!

I've never heard of it done in a 914 you likely would have weld in the mount on the tank plus plumbing...

You can mount an stock or aftermarket inline pump in the front trunk or back at the engine. If the reason is it's part of the LS computer I'm sure there's a work around. Usually if the pump has a pre-run event that's in the ECU and/or it has a stand alone relay with a timer, not in the pump.
My efi system has a relay that likely has a 555 timer chip for a 4 second pre-run.
jcd914
Strawman did an in-tank pump for his Subaru conversion and I think there was at least one other conversion running one.
Probably not an easy job but it looks easy in Geoff's pictures.
Subaru fuel pump in 914 tank

Jim

@strawman
Maltese Falcon
I'm using an Aeromotiveinc.com internal fuel tank pump...installed in the Fuelsafe fuel cell. They sell a large assortment of different GPH delivery pumps, check out their website smile.gif
BIGKAT_83
I'm using a stock Chevy 4th gen fbody fuel pump module. I did have to extend the legs on this to reach deeper into the 914 tank. The unit has a internal fuel pressure regulator.
This really works good with no problems with loosing fuel pressure. It was a pain to install.
Been in the tank for 15yrs now with no problems.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

On my Subaru conversion I used a Impreza tank module

Click to view attachment
tygaboy
I'm running an Aeromotive for my LS conversion. And yes, welding required.
I fabbed a plate with the appropriate bolt circle and welded it in place.

One other item to consider:
With the Aeromotive I used, I needed the pump pick up to be as low in the tank as possible - which is right where that sump is, so it had to go.
I had to remove the stock tank's "sump" panel. It's a vertical ring at the bottom of the tank that helps keep the fuel near the outlets to prevent starvation during cornering when the fuel level is low.
And the sump is right below the stock filler cap. So I also relocated mine to the driver's side.

If you decide to go this sort of way, I'd be happy to plasma cut you a plate or two that you can weld in... PM me if I can help.
dakotaewing
[quote name='BIGKAT_83' date='Nov 12 2019, 07:38 AM' post='2761473']
I'm using a stock Chevy 4th gen fbody fuel pump module. I did have to extend the legs on this to reach deeper into the 914 tank. The unit has a internal fuel pressure regulator.
This really works good with no problems with loosing fuel pressure. It was a pain to install.
Been in the tank for 15yrs now with no problems.
Click to view attachment

Bob,
Is the unit in your LS car 2 separate components?
I'm trying to figure out how you get gas in the tank...
Or is the red the gas cap?
BIGKAT_83

Bob,
Is the unit in your LS car 2 separate components?
I'm trying to figure out how you get gas in the tank...
Or is the red the gas cap?
[/quote]
Its the gas cap
dakotaewing
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 12 2019, 09:31 AM) *

I'm running an Aeromotive for my LS conversion. And yes, welding required.
I fabbed a plate with the appropriate bolt circle and welded it in place.

One other item to consider:
With the Aeromotive I used, I needed the pump pick up to be as low in the tank as possible - which is right where that sump is, so it had to go.
I had to remove the stock tank's "sump" panel. It's a vertical ring at the bottom of the tank that helps keep the fuel near the outlets to prevent starvation during cornering when the fuel level is low.
And the sump is right below the stock filler cap. So I also relocated mine to the driver's side.

If you decide to go this sort of way, I'd be happy to plasma cut you a plate or two that you can weld in... PM me if I can help.

Chris -

Thanks for the reply and the offer -
I might take you up on it, but still considering my options!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.