Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Protecting paint during reassembly
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
Hard to believe, but I'm at a stage I need to worry about scratching the paint on my build. My cramped shop space is a disaster waiting to happen. After finishing the spray on my car on Sunday, working in the shop suddenly became a lot like hiking and camping in grizzly country. Your senses become keenly aware... blink.gif

What do you all do to protect the finish while doing extensive work on your cars? I thought I saw some kind of clear cling wrap type film on someone's build ( @burton73 ?) that looked interesting but all my searches return clear bra material results. Anyone know anything about something like that, or any other suggestions so I don't end up with a big scratch in my nice new paint?
mepstein
We get the clear wrap at our auto paint store. It’s more for dust and dirt than scratch protection. It’s also enough to do 50 cars so hopefully they sell a smaller quantity. Maybe check with your local cheap paint shop /Maaco and ask to buy enough for your car.
Clear up your space as best as possible. Most of our shop damage is stupid stuff that only seems to happen around fresh paint.
FlacaProductions
I saw a reference to the clear wrap here somewhere, too Brent.
I did a quick search and found this thread:
https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/5...ng-restoration/

The takeaway for me was this product: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GFT7T4 and the fact that it does seem to lose a bit of it's tackiness when cold - which may be a factor for you - not sure how heated your workspace is!

They have a couple of other references/links as well - it's a start.

If I recall, it was @Mikey914 or maybe Eric that showed that they used something similar....
Mikey914
I use this when I flat tow my cars.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pratt-Retail-Sp..._-206733448-_-N

Keeps them from getting rock chips

I'm sure it would help for your situation
bbrock
Yes! Thank you guys! Looks like the Home Depot stuff is in stock at my local store so I will pick some up. I'll also pick up a cheap cotton car cover at Wally World but that only helps when not working on the car.

Shop is heated so no issues there. Biggest issue is that I only have 16" clearance around some parts of the car when working so even a pants zipper is a dangerous object.

You guys are awesome piratenanner.gif
mlindner
Hi Brent, ask your body shop supply. they should have wide rolls of "low tack" kind of tape (not that sticky). After a car is painted we put it on all critical areas that will be touched/ or entire car to protect in the process. Accumoto Motor Sport, Porsche race and street builds. best, Mark
burton73
Brent,

It was my car at PMB. E puts some clear wrap on cars in for a long time. I use a pallet wrap at Burton Plastics for well, wrapping pallets for shipping. There are different thickness sold.

Use high grade blue or green painters tape so it removes easily without the tape residue

Best,

Bob B
sunglasses.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 12 2019, 08:08 AM) *

Yes! Thank you guys! Looks like the Home Depot stuff is in stock at my local store so I will pick some up. I'll also pick up a cheap cotton car cover at Wally World but that only helps when not working on the car.

Shop is heated so no issues there. Biggest issue is that I only have 16" clearance around some parts of the car when working so even a pants zipper is a dangerous object.

You guys are awesome piratenanner.gif

These help
https://www.zoro.com/sunex-tools-car-dolly-...LhoC7EwQAvD_BwE
Superhawk996
Harbor Frieght moving blankets are dirt cheap $5 and will afford you some dent / scratch protectio if placed on top of said film.
theer
Search for crash wrap or collision wrap. It was on a project I purchased and worked great to protect the new paint while I finish up putting all the pieces back together.

Click to view attachment
burton73
QUOTE(theer @ Nov 12 2019, 09:23 AM) *

Search for crash wrap or collision wrap. It was on a project I purchased and worked great to protect the new paint while I finish up putting all the pieces back together.

Click to view attachment

Armordillo Strong! High Tack 60 Day UVI Protection 3 MIL 3-Ply 36”x200ft Collision Wrap Wreck Wrap Collision Towing Salvage Crash Film. Auto Repair Crash Wrap - Self Adhesive Protection Film‎
by Armordillo
2.5 out of 5 stars 8 ratings
Price: $58.99 & FREE Returns

Shrink wrap has no tack so this may be the stuff. Amazon.com

Bob B
mepstein
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Nov 12 2019, 11:39 AM) *

Harbor Frieght moving blankets are dirt cheap $5 and will afford you some dent / scratch protectio if placed on top of said film.

That's a good idea.
burton73
My 6 at PMB with the wrap on

Bob BClick to view attachment

I just had to go here.

Rap, rap, rap, they call him the rapper
Rap, rap, rap, you know what he's after
So, he starts his rappin'
Hoping something will happen
He'll say he needs you
A companion, a girl he can talk to
He's made up his mind
He needs someone to sock it to
bbrock
QUOTE(burton73 @ Nov 12 2019, 12:23 PM) *

Bob B

I just had to go here.

He'll say he needs you
He's made up his mind

av-943.gif Now that's a blast from the past!
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(burton73 @ Nov 12 2019, 11:23 AM) *

Bob BClick to view attachment

I just had to go here.

He'll say he needs you
He's made up his mind

You animal aktion035.gif
Cairo94507
When we trailer my Six home we are going to use crash wrap to protect it from rock chips on the trip. Once it is home I will get a nice clear bra installed to keep it as nice as possible as it is driven. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.