Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best horn question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
Going to try again, had some new Hella red/ black dual tone horns I installed last year after painting car but they crapped out on me, I have one old original OEM- but just not loud enough to get attention of the idiots that doesn’t look and cuts you off- if I can’t be seen I need to be heard!!

Thanks
johnhora
Search for the HELLA Supertone

Seems like I remember a number of people using these on 914s and lots of test by Subaru drivers.
There are two versions now the Red Supertone and Yellow Sharpetone
Check out youtube for a few comparison test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKOdNCv9UwE

Almost forgot the HELLA Twin Trumpet type
bdstone914
Locomotive horns will get anyones attention.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Nov 12 2019, 05:02 PM) *

aktion035.gif
Problem is fitting them
jim_hoyland
Best, loudest, most attention getting is the air horn with two trumpets mounted in the wheel wells forward of the wheels.
These will get the attention of any lane-changer. I mounted the air compressor near the headlight motor; drilled a hole for the air hose, then mounted each horn near the marker light wiring; one on each side.
If you want to still have the porsche horns to, a switch and relay can be integrated such that either set of norms might be used.
porschetub
My car came with air horns that didn't work,needs be I had a set high and low tone horns from a 92 VW golf,they have nice sealed connection plugs and only required adaption to them....nice and loud and cost me nothing,great solution IMO.
Click to view attachment
73-914
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 12 2019, 05:08 PM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Nov 12 2019, 05:02 PM) *

aktion035.gif
Problem is fitting them

AS a Locomotive Engineer , I can tell you the idiots don't even pay attention to loco horns either
Tbrown4x4
I have the red Hella Supertones. They're loud, but it sounds like a Beetle.

A deeper tone would be nice, but it doesn't bother me enough to change them out. The brackets and connectors fit right on.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Nov 12 2019, 08:05 PM) *

I have the red Hella Supertones. They're loud, but it sounds like a Beetle.

A deeper tone would be nice, but it doesn't bother me enough to change them out. The brackets and connectors fit right on.

agree.gif Easy fit and look right but the volume is a bit disappointing. And beetle...ish
DRPHIL914
one question is about the relay that they include in the box, is that necessary to be hooked up ? I would think the factory wiring and relays/fuses would be sufficient. Cant you just "plug and play"

I am leaning toward the yellow lower tone ones. Maybe 4!- 2 red and 2 yellow. one of each on each side, one directed under and to the side in the 75 stock location and one behind the backdated chrome bumper aiming out thru the grills forward.

Phil
johnhora
I would think plug and play also...but could check the amps draw of the new horns vs the oem
Olympic 914
I have the yellow Hella horns. They sound ok to my ears. Too bad we didn't discuss this at Okteenerfest. you could have heard them in person.

They were just plug and play for me. its not like you will be holding down the horn button for any length of time. don't see a problem with the regular wiring for them.
DRPHIL914
I just ordered the yellow ones, and will be in in a few days so I might get to mount them this weekend . I have one good red one, the other one was not working since remounting them after paint, - I have no idea why. I also may get the ones that are identical to red ones but have the trumpet design, I may put those under and the yellow's behind grills. maybe even a switch and relay to go with one, the other or all 4 . not sure, will investigate this but the bumper has to come off to get fog lights out for the SPOKE LED conversion anyway.

FlacaProductions
I have seen some comments in other threads where people claim they are much louder when the relay is used. Noticeable, anyway. Not sure why that would be but maybe.....
pt_700
having added a 2nd horn for more volume on my klr650 (feeble stock horn), i can confirm adding a relay (if not already equipped) will make even the stock horn much louder.

the stock wiring couldn't even sound the aftermarket horn by itself...
Retroracer
Like Jim H, I went for air horns seeing as I was building a GT tribute. The BOSCH "Fanfaren" period correct originals are available but command high $$ - too high to justify IMHO. So I went with a two horn air horn setup with separate compressor. These kits are orders of magnitude cheaper than the Bosch's.

The horns are mounted under the fiberglass bumper, pointing towards the fog light openings - but are hidden from obvious view. I ran a separate loom for the compressor and multiple driving lamps, all relayed and circuit breaker protected. You can see in the photo the compressor is mounted on the front bulkhead, bottom right.

Its pretty loud! But if you're not building a car from scratch, a clean, electrically robust install fro these can be time consuming.

- Tony

Click to view attachment
raynekat
My factory horns (two different tones) are quite loud.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I agree, the hella three note air horn is loud as h**l. Fairly easy to install as well, and very colorful. Gives the 914 that 911 and or Italian "note"

QUOTE(johnhora @ Nov 12 2019, 02:09 PM) *

Search for the HELLA Supertone

Seems like I remember a number of people using these on 914s and lots of test by Subaru drivers.
There are two versions now the Red Supertone and Yellow Sharpetone
Check out youtube for a few comparison test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKOdNCv9UwE

Almost forgot the HELLA Twin Trumpet type
VaccaRabite
With the Hella Supertones you need to run a new wire from the battery to drive the horns. With the stock horn wiring they sound anemic and tinny and sad. With a bigger wire run from the battery (using the stock horn wiring to a relay) the supertones are LOUD. I put mine in the bumper, and they have never failed to gain the attention of even the most inattentive granny trying to run me off the road.

IPB Image

Zach
eeyore
I figure that people who are quick on the horn have developed the wrong skill...
Gatornapper
QUOTE(eeyore @ Nov 14 2019, 11:57 AM) *

I figure that people who are quick on the horn have developed the wrong skill...

True in a car. Not if you are on a motorcycle. Many times have watched a car at a stop sign or light to the right just start to roll into my path - and the 120db air horn on the bike stopped them in their tracks.

On a bike you can't take the chance....

This horn is compact and great - self-contained compressor.....

https://www.amazon.com/Stebel-11690019-Naut...ASIN=B00CMX20H4

GN
FlacaProductions
@Gatornapper - I have the same horn as an additional unit on my work truck and it gets noticed.
anderssj
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Nov 16 2019, 10:28 AM) *

True in a car. Not if you are on a motorcycle. Many times have watched a car at a stop sign or light to the right just start to roll into my path - and the 120db air horn on the bike stopped them in their tracks.

GN

The older Stebels are great, but since moving their production to China the new units have had problems with field failures. I recently installed a similar Marco "Tornado" unit on wife's Miata. VA state inspector said it sounds "real eye-TAL-yun." biggrin.gif

Too rainy/windy to go out and take a pic, so screen-grabbed this off Thompson-Automotive's web-site:

Click to view attachment

BTW, Miata already had a horn relay in place.
steuspeed
I have the red Hella Supertones. They work well imo. Plug and play.
Gatornapper
Steve - Thanks for the tip - I have an older Stebel that still works great, and got one for a friend and noticed it was cheapened a lot.

GN

QUOTE(anderssj @ Nov 16 2019, 12:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Nov 16 2019, 10:28 AM) *

GN

The older Stebels are great, but since moving their production to China the new units have had problems with field failures. I recently installed a similar Marco "Tornado" unit on wife's Miata. VA state inspector said it sounds "real eye-TAL-yun." biggrin.gif

Too rainy/windy to go out and take a pic, so screen-grabbed this off Thompson-Automotive's web-site:

Click to view attachment

BTW, Miata already had a horn relay in place.

914 Ranch
I use a horne from Wolo, and I get them from O'Reilly's for under $40. I use them on everything. The one on Carerror the bike, NICE 914 and the Bug is a Wolo 400. I have one for the Truck but haven't installed them yet, it is a Wolo 405.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Phil, these horns are embarrassingly loude.

Like Jim said, hornes in the fender well and the compressor behind the headlight motor. That makes the hose really short.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(914 Ranch @ Nov 21 2019, 06:09 PM) *

I use a horne from Wolo, and I get them from O'Reilly's for under $40. I use them on everything. The one on Carerror the bike, NICE 914 and the Bug is a Wolo 400. I have one for the Truck but haven't installed them yet, it is a Wolo 405.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Phil, these horns are embarrassingly loude.

Like Jim said, hornes in the fender well and the compressor behind the headlight motor. That makes the hose really short.

Thanks for the tip, and my try these- good price. I have some Hella on the way, will retry those but I do think they need to be loud- I agree with one posting about it’s not just a horn we need- have avoided many accidents due to defensive-aggressive maneuvers! Usually due to not being seen and had to avoid- BUT for sure if I had a really loud horn or wake up a non-aware driver running me off the road , well let’s just say I have now had more close calls with the 914 than my BMW motorcycle....
dwillouby
QUOTE(eeyore @ Nov 14 2019, 09:57 AM) *

In India that's the first part of the car to wear out. smile.gif

David
rhodyguy
I have the stock confused24.gif dual tones on my car and they are LOUD. VERY!. Easily installed with no drama.
maf914
QUOTE(eeyore @ Nov 14 2019, 08:57 AM) *

How else do you get the moron to look up from their cell phone when the light turns green? laugh.gif
Bruce Edge
I have had much success with rebuilding the early original style horns. I adjust them to the highest note. With the dual horns, I find them to be plenty loud.
I’ll try and send some pictures.
Bruce Edge
Bruce Edge
Hey again,
Tried to send more pictures, but had problems sending more than one.
I’ll try again.
Bruce
dakotaewing
QUOTE(Bruce Edge @ Nov 23 2019, 08:11 AM) *

Hey again,
I’ll try again.
Bruce

Bruce,

I apologize if I'm missing the oblivious. Can you
label, or explain the various parts in the image
regarding a rebuild for the rest of us who have not done a rebuild?
Thanks!
Bruce Edge
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Nov 23 2019, 04:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Bruce Edge @ Nov 23 2019, 08:11 AM) *

Hey again,
I’ll try again.
Bruce

Bruce,

I apologize if I'm missing the oblivious. Can you
label, or explain the various parts in the image
regarding a rebuild for the rest of us who have not done a rebuild?
Thanks!

Hello dakotaewing,
sorry to have been slow jn responding, just got to the point I could write.I will be glad to explain the rework or i can provide the rebuild service. For me to rebuild a horn it would cost $45.00 ea plus shipping.
Not all can be rebuild. The main body is made of bake lite and sometimes cracked. Each piece makes a difference in the sound or it even working. The unit is actually electrode magnet. The round metal plate(brown color)in picture is pulled back and fourth(vibration)that's what makes the noise. The paper gasket(in picture with small little holes) needs to be sandwiched between plate and top cover. Top cover is galvanizes metal(seen some painted). One of the most important things is the is the amount pressure applied to close the rivets. If made to tight horn will not work, (Brown plate) has to be free enough to vibrate. Screw and nuts do not work well, because of vibration nut will unscrew them self's. Small brass washer in between steel plates must be put back in order. Screw in back of of base controls points, which controls electric magnet, which can adjust to high or low tone.
That's probably enough info for now, any questions are welcome.

Thanks,
Bruce
DRPHIL914
@Bruce Edge

Bruce thanks for sharing the info on rebuilds always great to make the old stuff work like new again! I have to figure out why my newer red HELLA dual tone horn quit working, what should I look for if I attempt to take it apart and fix it?

in the mean time I got in the new Hella Supertone Yellow ones, and put on just one and wow they are plenty loud!!! and a slightly different tone than the Red, so I might put in all 4 if I can fix the one red one, the Yellow ones under on original mounts and the red ones behind the bumper/fog grill . Hopefully that will get their attention when they are switching lanes and not looking!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.