Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Play in wheel bearings - automatically replace?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Hi guys - had the '74 AZ on a lift today and I have play in both sides front wheel bearings. I know the bearings are cheap but does play mean they are typically in need of replacement or do they just work loose over time on 914s?

Thanks!
mepstein
I would take the rotor off, check the bearings and races and if they look good, lube and reinstall. If they get loose again, then replace.
Tdskip
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 12 2019, 06:39 PM) *

I would take the rotor off, check the bearings and races and if they look good, lube and reinstall. If they get loose again, then replace.

Thanks @mepstein .
ndfrigi
front bearing replacement is a lot easier than the rear bearing.
Tdskip
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Nov 12 2019, 07:56 PM) *

front bearing replacement is a lot easier than the rear bearing.

Thanks for the response, I agree and I may well need brake rotors anyway....

Hope you are doing well.
Krieger
If you cannot adjust the play out no matter how much you tighten the outer nut it is very possible your spindle is worn. Look where the outer bearing race sits on the spindle. Yes, you have to remove the rotor to see this. Most likely it will be at the 6 o'clock position. If you can feel a step from where the race sits moving inward on the spindle with your fingernail or see it it's worn. Idk if there is a spec for it or not.
Tdskip
Thanks @Krieger

Will check the spindles.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.