Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Taking the 914 to Amelia Island- Werks & C&C
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
I do plan on entering it for judging this year , I just parked in the Porsche Coral last year. This year I applied and was accepted to be in the Cars and Coffee even on Saturday as well.

Other than a local show or two, I've only had it to Okteenerfest.

What i'd like is some advice for prep and presentation from those that have done this for PCA or other venue, and just want to present the car well.

also for anyone that has seen my car, I am open to constructive advice on anyting that needs attention or better presentation. my car is very clean and was gone over pretty well in re-assembly BUT I did loose by one vote this year to another nice vehicle in our own little show at Okteenerfest (not that it matters) I know that is people's choice , not professional judging so when I look at my car and others I try and pay attention to small details that would really stand out to a critical eye.
My bumpers are perfect and spotless, pain is very very nice aside from 2 small chips that have to be touched up.
interior is almost completely spotless and new other than my original but very nice lower dash piece and the dash face material , but no cracks or tears, new top dash top pad, etc. my A-pillar's could use refreshing or replacement, but other than that its hard to think of anyting that needs to be done so that is why I need someone that has really looked at my car close to help with this. I can post some pictures for the masses that have not see the car. - one other issue is the fender wells. I think I do need to clean up some overspray under there and on the rear suspension parts.
Motor is as clean as it gets, it was all redone , every part was cleaned painted , powder coated or zinc plated. all new hoses and wires.

anyway thanks for the help!!!

Phil

- engine cover grill needs to be repainted, have some chipping off of that. ....
bdstone914
Phil,
I think your car is well prepared now. I need to get those cup washers for you front struts. Can you post pics of front and rear trunks to see if there are any things that need aytention?
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Nov 13 2019, 09:11 AM) *

Phil,
I think your car is well prepared now. I need to get those cup washers for you front struts. Can you post pics of front and rear trunks to see if there are any things that need aytention?

thanks Bruce, I will do that tonight with some current as-is pics.

Things I know I have to do -
1. re-do the sail panels again - it pulled out of vertical front trim , bubbles on one side.
2. new front trunk bulkhead carpet
3. repaint windshield wiper arms
4. maybe different gauge trim on center console
---this list to be amended as time goes on....
DRPHIL914
Right rear
DRPHIL914
Lower rear
DRPHIL914
Left rear side
DRPHIL914
Left front side
Johny Blackstain
Wow, I remember what she looked like 5 yrs ago at Okteenerfest Phil, most impressive transformation. smilie_pokal.gif beer.gif aktion035.gif cool_shades.gif
DRPHIL914
I would like to fix these wheels, they polish up nice but the black paint inside is chipping off-
DRPHIL914
Interior shot at Okteenerfest , I just had the backpad recovered right before Okteenerfest so that’s well sorted as are the seats - maybe new seat belts and the buttons on the seat belt things look pretty worn- carpet is brand new , all good there. I would love th have the black adonized threshold plates

- don't know why I have the gap between the left side lower dash pad just above the vent there between the upper and lower pieces but that is one thing that jumps out at me when I get in the car and look at stuff.

- also I need a new rear view mirror.

Coondog
Beautiful 914. first.gif In my book.
DRPHIL914
Go Gophers
Too bad the car is not Maroon and gold.!
DRPHIL914
I need to take some closeups because all these are showing it maybe Better than it is... need to get the flaws in close pics
DRPHIL914
Front windshield and trim were all new a year ago, as is all the sail panel trim bits- what is not would be the engine lid grill- the black mesh really needs to be stripped and painted or powder coated- anyone have one of these done?
JFJ914
You don't need to do anything for C&C, it's just a display.

Werks is not a conventional concours, just present a clean car and if it strikes the judges fantasy it will trophy.
DRPHIL914
A few more-
jim_hoyland
Wow ! Beautiful restoration smile.gif
bdstone914
Here are a few bits you @DRPHIL914
iankarr
Great looking car!

Repainting the engine grille is no big deal. The hardest part is getting the PITA speed /clip nuts off the posts and spacing the letters correctly. Maybe a 2 on the 1-10 scale. SEM black primer or Rustoleum satin black in a rattle can are pretty close to stock.

When I showed at the Quail this year I was amazed at how many little things you can focus on. It really is a rabbit hole. I suggest making a list of everything you think needs attention, prioritizing it, and setting a timetable. That way you can get all the most visible stuff done first and in time for Amelia. Then plan on enclosed trailering it to FL. Would suck to spend all that time and attention to compete, only to have it spoiled by a flying rock on I-10!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Nov 14 2019, 12:48 AM) *

that is awesome Bruce!!! $$ back to ya as well!

many of my parts I have from you may not be seen , but I know they are there, I should have mirrors for under the car because looks so good having all those HE parts all powder coated and the SS screws etc that I got from you. - might just have to take some picture and put them in the album I have been putting together, its a shame we cant see it all. Same with the engine compartment, spotless and those fuel rails and the injector retainers that are the silver zinc plated still look brand new after a year, I wonder , but I doubt that many will pay that close attention to those little details when inspecting the car. Many thanks!! I am sure something else will come up that I will need to do but for now I should be good for a while anyway
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 13 2019, 10:35 AM) *

Front windshield and trim were all new a year ago, as is all the sail panel trim bits- what is not would be the engine lid grill- the black mesh really needs to be stripped and painted or powder coated- anyone have one of these done?

Good idea, seems that I didn’t seal it well enough so the badge scratched off some paint from doing it a year ago, and I want to put my badges on it too- I have a Club badge, World badge , Werks badge from last year and 50th year badge to put on the grill, so might as well paint it up-
Also regarding the possibility of getting a stone chip, I really wanted to get the clear bra treatment and they have a similar thing for the windshield used for racing to protect glass from chips and scratches and with brand new windshield I’d like to kee it looking nice- that’s why I trailed to Okteenerfest. I know I could drive that car across country tomorrow but I won’t. And I hate being that way so maybe I neede another 914 for just regular driving around! idea.gif
bdstone914
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 14 2019, 01:16 PM) *

many of my parts I have from you may not be seen , but I know they are there, I should have mirrors for under the car because looks so good having all those HE parts all powder coated and the SS screws etc that I got from you. - might just have to take some picture and put them in the album I have been putting together, its a shame we cant see it all. Same with the engine compartment, spotless and those fuel rails and the injector retainers that are the silver zinc plated still look brand new after a year, I wonder , but I doubt that many will pay that close attention to those little details when inspecting the car. Many thanks!! I am sure something else will come up that I will need to do but for now I should be good for a while anyway

You are welcome. I saw some of the HE parts . Looks really good.
billh1963
Phil...how's the car coming along?
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Nov 18 2019, 09:13 AM) *

Running, brakes fixed, collecting a few items , odds and ends , package of pieces coming from Bruce Stone, ordered new horns, a new left turn signal OEM NOS lense, will take front bumper off to put the cover up plates in, and re do the fog lights, I am getting the SPOKE LED conversion- I have to send him the housing , then re do the targa bar vinyl.
Hope to have all that done before Dec 7 for local charity car show at Habersham in Beaufort.

Gone to MN now, unfortunately my brother-in-law passed away last week(the one that had the ‘73 ‘Vette.) be home Wednesday night so will be working on the car Saturday.
It’s running good.
Other thing I want to do is clean up the wheel wells and some overspray in the rear suspension
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 18 2019, 09:11 AM) *

Running, brakes fixed, collecting a few items , odds and ends , package of pieces coming from Bruce Stone, ordered new horns, a new left turn signal OEM NOS lense, will take front bumper off to put the cover up plates in, and re do the fog lights, I am getting the SPOKE LED conversion- I have to send him the housing , then re do the targa bar vinyl.
Hope to have all that done before Dec 7 for local charity car show at Habersham in Beaufort.

Gone to MN now, unfortunately my brother-in-law passed away last week(the one that had the ‘73 ‘Vette.) be home Wednesday night so will be working on the car Saturday.
It’s running good.
Other thing I want to do is clean up the wheel wells and some overspray in the rear suspension

Did you ever get your t-shirt?

Clay
Shredhead
How do you get the bumpers to look so good??
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 18 2019, 05:31 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 18 2019, 09:11 AM) *

It’s running good.

Did you ever get your t-shirt?

Clay

Clay,
Yes! Thanks!!

Cool, lots of comments, takes a while for people to get what it is
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Shredhead @ Nov 18 2019, 07:33 PM) *

How do you get the bumpers to look so good??

Well another member here had a mint rear bumper that was rechromed by Tri-City Plating in Johnson City TH, lives upstate SC and I picked up at Doc’s house in Columbia,
Then in another stroke of luck I got a mint all original early front bumper from a local 911 rebuilder that wanted to get rid of some 914 stuff that was included in a whole shipping container of stuff from VA , so sent it off to Tri City Plating too- thst was just a bout 18 months ago- super nice and clear no metal work needed .
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Nov 14 2019, 04:54 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 14 2019, 01:16 PM) *

You are welcome. I saw some of the HE parts . Looks really good.

Bruce,

parts received!! I will be installing these all this weekend, the new shock bolts along with the rear tow hooks from 914werks, will give me a chance to raise up my spring perch retaining rings one spot up too. Would like to put on some adjustable coil overs but probably that is for a later time, its a want not a need.
If the weather holds out I may be redoing the sail panel vinyl.

@bdstone914
DRPHIL914
one thing I would like to do is to replace the badly done carpet piece that is on the front trunk vertical wall in front of the gas tank bulk head, and have one made out of the same carpet that is in the car, its black german loop. wonder if I could source some of that to get it made to match the inside of the car, same with the tire board piece, I think that would look better than the felt stuff.

@mikey914 - does 914rubber.com have this??

Phil
Mikey914
We do. In both the lighter charcoal and the "black" version.

https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/f...lkhead-lining-1
stevegm
The car looks great! You will do well. cheer.gif aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif

I’m thinking about taking mine to Werks Reunion on Friday. But it needs some work. Not nearly as finished as yours.
jdamiano
QUOTE(stevegm @ Nov 23 2019, 03:07 AM) *

I’m thinking about taking mine to Werks Reunion on Friday. But it needs some work. Not nearly as finished as yours.

Just do the corral if you don’t want your car judged. Sign up for the C&C on Saturday now before it fills up. A few of 914s are thinking of going to the Brumos museum after the Saturday C&C as well.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(jdamiano @ Nov 23 2019, 08:38 AM) *

QUOTE(stevegm @ Nov 23 2019, 03:07 AM) *

Just do the corral if you don’t want your car judged. Sign up for the C&C on Saturday now before it fills up. A few of 914s are thinking of going to the Brumos museum after the Saturday C&C as well.

I have already applied and was accepted for the Cars and Coffee. Might as well get judged, I did coral last year and all the 914’s in judging were highly modified profession builds, so will be nice to have a nicely done mostly stock car done by the owner not a shop for them to judge and compare. Is it that level? No, but I didn’t set out to be the level of chairo’s /6 which is a 10/10 restoration, but I did end up siding down the slippery slope of doing more and more, here are some bits that will go on the car most not seen some will be heard. But it will be nice to present a mostly original rare color late appearance group 914 really only changes is the backdating bumpers and exhaust, and the euro spec lenses front and rear., and the 911 wheels . Feels like it’s the narrow body AP car that SHOULD have been built.

Steve, good to hear from you I hope you make it, if you do please come by the car. And say hello. I bought my engine tin from you 3 years ago at Okteenerfest and that’s what’s on motor now- it was beautifully redone and looks great.

Here are some bits from Bruce and Richard , will be getting some of this done today-

Mark, if you get that front carpet stuff put on the Black Friday sale I will be right on that!! Save a back set for me!

Phil

Ps- anyone know if Werks or cars and coffee does a info board for the cars? If not I will make one up myself- anyone that has done this please posts some pics and suggestions!!

speedy914
I took my -6 to Werks Reunion Amelia in 2017 and 2018. Both times judged field even though I had not a prayer. But still fun and my car is a bit unique. Nothing to sweat, the judging is very low key. It not Parade. (that's not to say most aren't stuck up! lol) unsure.gifClick to view attachment
GeorgeRud
Any concours preparation seems to go down a perpetual rabbit hole as there’s always something that can be done. However, the car always wins because of the attention it gets.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.