Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Colour coding the rocker covers and valences
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dt4
Whats the thoughts on colour coding the rocker covers and front and rear valence?
I cant make my mind up so thought I would ask
Is it acceptable or sacrilege?
mepstein
I did it on my first 914. monochrome was a popular 80’s look. Now I’m more into the traditional 914’s with black accents including sail panels.

Your car, your choice.
Coondog
Something I would have done in the eighties but not today.
peteyd
I painted my rockers body colour initially. I only recently painted them black with plastidip and I prefer the black. The contrast makes it look better.

Pete
1970 Neun vierzehn
In addition to providing contrast with the primary body sheet metal color, the black rocker panel and front and rear valences visually "lower" the profile of the car. As an example, two yellow cars are depicted with the attachment. The all yellow car seems "thicker" an fatter (to my eyes anyway), whereas the car with the black lower panels appears to be lower and sleeker (which is how it left the factory).

Paul
jim912928
I love color matching....

Click to view attachment
Big Len
Makes the profile look fat and heavy.
Chris914n6
Depends on the color of the car.

My driver is black and I like the solid look with chrome bumpers.
The Metallic Gold one needs the black to tone down the brightness and will likely get black bumpers & trim too.
The Gemini Blue one I'm debating as I could go either way.
sb914
Click to view attachment I was going to paint mine black but the painter had already
Painted them. Makes my car look “phat” I like them .
BENBRO02
IMHO black looks best.
Coondog
QUOTE(sb914 @ Nov 13 2019, 07:12 PM) *

Click to view attachment I was going to paint mine black but the painter had already
Painted them. Makes my car look “phat” I like them .

What the What......didn’t we just have this conversation on Saturday about your car being to red........... headbang.gif
mepstein
That being said, this is my favorite 914.
rjames
QUOTE(Big Len @ Nov 13 2019, 06:31 PM) *

Makes the profile look fat and heavy.

agree.gif

RickS
With the right lighting the black panels almost disappear
Click to view attachment
dt4
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 14 2019, 12:22 AM) *

In addition to providing contrast with the primary body sheet metal color, the black rocker panel and front and rear valences visually "lower" the profile of the car. As an example, two yellow cars are depicted with the attachment. The all yellow car seems "thicker" an fatter (to my eyes anyway), whereas the car with the black lower panels appears to be lower and sleeker (which is how it left the factory).

Paul

Thanks Paul
I could live with both of those, its made the decision harder

So far the majority are voting for black not body colour
sixnotfour
as long as they are different codes...
dt4
That's a no then @sixnotfour rolleyes.gif
maf914
I like both styles. You could go monochrome and see if you like it. If not, the change to black would be relatively easy.
Garland
We all had black in the 70’s, saw it come and go in the 80’s, still black.
djway
I like em low and fast.
The body color rockers make the car appear much lower
burton73
I like Rich Johnstons 6 with yellow over yellow.

Clean and nice

Bob B

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
johnc
Number one rule, do what appeals to you.
However, if you ever sell, most buyers of 45 year old cars want the “factory version”, not all buyers of course.
My opinion, fwiw, is the stock color scheme visually lengthens and lowers the car. The black sail panels and roof minimizes the height and again lengthens the line from tip to tail, which strengthens the visual impact.
On the other hand, what of the 916?. confused24.gif Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.