Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Factory assembly or someone’s attempt at weather exclusion?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mgphoto
I removed the weatherstripping for the windshield rearward seal, (between the doors and windshield), I found a black silicone sealant material between the trim and the windshield frame. I found the same material holding the windshield surround trim in place. I know this is not a typical factory installation.
I am restoring the windshield and surround, so my question is “did the factory use a sealant on the trim between the windows and windshield?”
See images below.

Thanks
Mike

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
You sure it’s a silicone product? The factory did use a black sealant but it was more of a butyl type product.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Nov 13 2019, 07:06 PM) *

You sure it’s a silicone product? The factory did use a black sealant but it was more of a butyl type product.

:agree The alloy / trim seal holders will be difficult to remove because the butyl
between them and the body is very stuborn. Often the trim is bent in the process.
If there was no sealant there water would have a direct path inward.
Chris914n6
Butyl tape like the windshield/rear glass and factory.
mgphoto
Thanks Butyl tape, got it.
Mikey914
Yep they put strips of it behind the trim. Did the same thing on the roll bar pieces too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.