Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So what’s the scoop on 009 distributors?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Seems like they were all the rage years ago and now are out of favor?

What sort of engine build/tune would work well with one of these? Yeah - I have a NOS the shelf.

Thanks!
porschetub
Go to Ratwell site and see what he mentioned , he is dead on but they have been working for years but really aren't ideal,wrong advance curve for anything than balls out,the vacuum "205" units will always work better on pointless ignition or not.
johnhora
Back in the day the 009 and 050 were about the only thing available when the FI was yanked out and carbs and cam installed and no vacuum circuit available.
These days many more choices.
Mark Henry
They work, ok on the T1 engine not so much on a T4.
I have at least a half dozen kicking around, but haven't used one in 20 years.

You say you have a NOS on the shelf? Flip it over and look to see if it has "Germany" cast in on the bottom of the housing. The German 009 has a bit better curve and a couple degrees less total advance than the more common Brazil made 009.
mmichalik
I dropped a 123ignition into the 74 we got from you and it's awesome. The 75 will have one as well.
With the Bluetooth model, it's easy to program your own curves.
Mike
Tbrown4x4
I believe they originally were used on industrial engines. I have had one on the car since I bought it. Not ideal, and there is a little flat spot of idle for me. I'll be replacing it with one from a 1.8L soon, to try that out.
Tdskip
Thanks gentlemen, will find a T1 home for it.

Appreciate the info and coaching.

From @porschetub reference (and in case other people find this via searching)

"Although unsuitable it will still allow your engine to operate just not as well as the stock distributor. The technical reason that the 009 is unsuitable is that it advances 20-22 degrees maximum under all conditions so the total advance from the static setting of 7.5 would be about 28-30 degrees. Since the VW engine needs varying amounts of advance under partial throttle conditions the ignition system can't keep up with the demands of the engine. This can be compensated for partially by setting the static advance to 10 degrees but since the 009 only has one advance spring inside (weak) instead of two (weak + strong), the maximum advance also comes in too fast (around 2600rpm).

When the 009's first appeared in the mid-seventies as a replacement for the 010, they were adopted by the performance crowd because their aftermarket carbs lacked the vacuum port to drive the vacuum can. Because the advance was too slow using the stock dizzy, the quicker advance of the 009 helped to compensate at the expense of a flat spot just off idle and poor gas mileage. The flat spot felt like a surge of power so everyone felt good about their purchase."
porschetub
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Nov 14 2019, 10:46 PM) *

I believe they originally were used on industrial engines. I have had one on the car since I bought it. Not ideal, and there is a little flat spot of idle for me. I'll be replacing it with one from a 1.8L soon, to try that out.

Yes that's correct used on and latter 12 and 1600 T1 motors and the T4 1700 industrial stationary engines,I'am unsure what the T4 used for a governor system but the T1 motors used a belt driven system off the crank,the use of the 009 was ideal for this application as these engines only used idle and full throttle.

These motors ran pumps ,generators, etc normally via a Getrag reduction box with a hand operated clutch,due to running @ lower max RPM they were very durable and many were sold.

I have previously owned a T1 1200 and 1600 industrials and still have one of the reduction boxes.

Tdskip
Thanks mate
Tdskip
Just to confirm - 050 are the same as 009 as far as curve isssue sect?
jdamiano
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Nov 16 2019, 08:06 PM) *

Nope different curves. 009 ok for normal stroke type one engines. 050 for short stroke type ones and all type fours. I just put the Petronix distributor on my stock 2.0 and really like it. Advertised as the best of both 009 and 050 curves.
Tdskip
Ah - well that is good to know. Thanks!
porschetub
QUOTE(jdamiano @ Nov 17 2019, 03:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Nov 16 2019, 08:06 PM) *

Nope different curves. 009 ok for normal stroke type one engines. 050 for short stroke type ones and all type fours. I just put the Petronix distributor on my stock 2.0 and really like it. Advertised as the best of both 009 and 050 curves.

Yes they do have a different advance curve,possibly done with heavier springs,not 100% sure as I have never had a 050 apart,I think the 912 guys had good results with them as a replacement for worn out stock ones.

anderssj
IIRC, the 009 had only one spring while the 050 had two.

I've been running an 050 on my carb'd car for more than 30 years, but the rotors are NLA. Caps are getting tough to find too. sad.gif

I've got a dizzy from a 1.8L 914 on the shelf...and there's a vacuum port on the Dells idea.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(anderssj @ Nov 17 2019, 07:14 PM) *

IIRC, the 009 had only one spring while the 050 had two.

I've been running an 050 on my carb'd car for more than 30 years, but the rotors are NLA. Caps are getting tough to find too. sad.gif

I've got a dizzy from a 1.8L 914 on the shelf...and there's a vacuum port on the Dells idea.gif

Wait - no place to get a new cap or rotor on a 050? I’m not doubting you but that seems like a pretty good reason not to run one.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.