Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front control arm torsion bar question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rcarson25
So, I am rebuilding/cleaning up my front suspension. I tore it all down, sandblasted and powder coated the front a arms only to realize as I was untapping that the front torsion bar cover cap that sits in the a arm is missing on one side mad.gif Is it just a standard freeze plug that goes in the a arm or is it a special cap? Does anyone know the size of the cap?
Tdskip
Picture handy?

rcarson25
Only photos I have are on my phone and are too big to be able to post. It is located in the front of the torsion tube on the a arm, it is the end of the tube that the 2 bolt bushing shackle holds in place. I will try to get a picture when I get in front of my computer.
Superhawk996
Caps for torsion bar covers are available from the usual suspects.

They have designed to have the torsion bar driven out though the cap end if necessary, and then replace the cap.
mepstein
If you have a local Porsche dealer you can get these small parts in a day or two and usually not have to pay a shipping charge.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(rcarson25 @ Nov 14 2019, 06:46 AM) *

Only photos I have are on my phone and are too big to be able to post. It is located in the front of the torsion tube on the a arm, it is the end of the tube that the 2 bolt bushing shackle holds in place. I will try to get a picture when I get in front of my computer.

email your pictures to yourself using your phone and should ask what size you want to send it. Select smaller size and then save those pictures from your email to your phone. Now those pictures will be smaller size and you can attach several pics on a single post.
rcarson25
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Nov 14 2019, 09:06 AM) *

QUOTE(rcarson25 @ Nov 14 2019, 06:46 AM) *

email your pictures to yourself using your phone and should ask what size you want to send it. Select smaller size and then save those pictures from your email to your phone. Now those pictures will be smaller size and you can attach several pics on a single post.

Thanks for the heads up, already knew that trick sunglasses.gif

Thanks for telling me this is a easily purchased part. I figured this would be one of those hard to find pieces but guess not. Of course I just placed an order with Pelican three days ago, welcome to car restoration right? Thanks for the quick help guys cap will be in order shortly.
Mikey914
Let me know if not available.... I know a guy biggrin.gif
bdstone914
They are Welch plugs. Same as in the adjuster caps. About$6 each.
sixnotfour
smile.gif
rhodyguy
Don't forget the foam doughnuts/gaskets. Usually they have deteriorated by this point. 1 per side. #901 341 475 00.
rcarson25
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 14 2019, 12:07 PM) *

Don't forget the foam doughnuts/gaskets. Usually they have deteriorated by this point. 1 per side. #901 341 475 00.

Thank you I would have missed that
Olympic 914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 14 2019, 01:07 PM) *

Or you could cut a piece of pool noodle and put it in there.

Works for me...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
roblav1
I did same as Tom... used a couple hole saws to cut foam I had laying around.
raynekat
There are different sizes of those plugs from Porsche. First time around, I got one that was way too big.
mepstein
QUOTE(raynekat @ Nov 16 2019, 01:33 PM) *

There are different sizes of those plugs from Porsche. First time around, I got one that was way too big.

Me too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.