Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interesting 914 in HSR Classic Daytona Paddock
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
maf914
Gunnar Racing 914 and Porsche Transporter
stownsen914
Sharp looking car. I sure wouldn't feel safe driving a car with a rollbar like that though - it would fold right over if the car rolled.
vintage914racer
I believe that’s a repainted and updated version of this car they built 18 or so years ago. I remember following the original build here: http://www.gunnarracing.com/project/914spyder/914-0515.htm
914 Ranch
Wonder why I like that car so much???

Click to view attachment

I have actually met Kevin and Gunnar.
I didn't have any idea what they were up to and it was a few years before 914's in my life.
pete000
They build great stuff!
Chi-town
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Nov 14 2019, 01:44 PM) *

Sharp looking car. I sure wouldn't feel safe driving a car with a rollbar like that though - it would fold right over if the car rolled.

It has rear diagonal support bars, it would be fine
Jamie
I would want as least some semblance of a windshield bubble to keep the bugs off my faceshield! aktion035.gif That's a really clean looking build.
jmitro
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Nov 14 2019, 06:12 PM) *

QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Nov 14 2019, 01:44 PM) *

It has rear diagonal support bars, it would be fine

agree.gif
flipb
What's the lower cutout hole in the front hood?
sixnotfour
build link,,is been around, best paint beerchug.gif
http://www.gunnarracing.com/project/914spyder/index.htm
rhodyguy
It's time to dig out the Ginther tribute.
flyer86d
Oh does that look great!

Charlie
rgalla9146
On a recent trip to Fla. I dropped in at Gunnar.
Saw the tail of this 914 and a few other very interesting race cars, a 917, a 962, 935....and a Beetle getting a full restoration !
The shop was full and busy preparing for Daytona.
Not the best time to visit. Did not ask to take pics.
Hope to visit again at a more relaxed time.
cpavlenko
I like the transporter.
cpavlenko
I like the transporter.
Pursang
Yeah, I like the car too but i have a question about the driver names. Derek and Justin Bell I recognize and Bob Holbert too but I wondered does anyone know if "Emory" is Gary or Rod?
rgalla9146
Great color scheme but the front to rear stripe at the top of the fenders is too flat in the middle and fails to follow the distinctive curve that is such a subtle feature of our cars.
A beautiful car.
914-300Hemi
QUOTE(Pursang @ Nov 15 2019, 07:59 PM) *

Yeah, I like the car too but i have a question about the driver names. Derek and Justin Bell I recognize and Bob Holbert too but I wondered does anyone know if "Emory" is Gary or Rod?

I think it is Rod Emory. Saw some photos from Instagram
carr914
Click to view attachment
carr914
Click to view attachment
carr914
QUOTE(Pursang @ Nov 15 2019, 11:59 PM) *

Holbert is Todd Holbert, Al's Son & Bob's Grandson
sixnotfour
Rod..
@Pursang
sixnotfour
first.gif
sixnotfour
beerchug.gif driving.gif
URY914
Click to view attachment
URY914
The track's PA announcer said the transporter is not a real Porsche transporter. It's an American built truck.
URY914
I think it only ran once this weekend. This is the only shot I got of it on track.

Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
On a side note, John Morton, yes ‘the’ John Morton flipped a BRE #46 replica on its lid today. He is ok. Car is not...
carr914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Nov 17 2019, 08:06 PM) *

The track's PA announcer said the transporter is not a real Porsche transporter. It's an American built truck.

Correct, recently restored as a Porsche Transport

Click to view attachment
URY914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 17 2019, 10:25 PM) *

On a side note, John Morton, yes ‘the’ John Morton flipped a BRE #46 replica on its lid today. He is ok. Car is not...

I saw this happen. A car spun and John was caught up in the fess and drove up over a car and did a slow roll on the roof.
URY914
Before

Click to view attachment
campbellcj
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 17 2019, 09:25 PM) *

Geez that's wild, glad he is ok -- I saw and photographed him flipping a Scarab at Laguna in '09 IIRC. Incredible he survived that one.
TonyA
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 17 2019, 05:52 PM) *

beerchug.gif driving.gif

Thanks for posting. Brings back memories of the late seventies listening to Holberts car getting tuned up in a garage behind the engineering office I interned at in Warrington PA. Right behind the shopping center at Rt 611 and Bristol Rd.
lalee914
I remember John Morton flipping one of the Nissan GTP cars in practice at Lime Rock. Came through the uphill turn a bit faster than usual and caught air under the front end as he crested the hill. The car flipped over backwards and landed on its top. As I recall, John suffered some small facial burns. He was out that weekend but back racing a few weeks later.
SirAndy
Looking at his head sticking out above the roll bar makes me feel all weird inside.
blink.gif

QUOTE(URY914 @ Nov 17 2019, 06:26 PM) *
I think it only ran once this weekend. This is the only shot I got of it on track.

Click to view attachment

brant
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 1 2021, 09:28 AM) *

Looking at his head sticking out above the roll bar makes me feel all weird inside.
blink.gif

QUOTE(URY914 @ Nov 17 2019, 06:26 PM) *

Click to view attachment

agreed...
don't know how that would have passed the broom stick test at tech?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.