Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this a spam email
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Coondog
Received this In my junk mail. Included a invoice that would not open due to old unsupported version of Word. I haven’t purchased anything from AA in a long time.

Hello
Please find the attached company profile.
Company profile will brief you well.

Thank you very much for working with our company.

Mia Dejonckheere

e:mia@autoatlanta.com
914werke
SPAM! I have received a bunch of messages from her smile.gif
Ive even let George know Mia's email had been compromised (yes shes a real person)
Blue6
Must have gotten us through the world. I’ve never ordered or had any contact with auto Atlanta, and I also got the spam..
rjames
QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 15 2019, 07:04 PM) *

Received this In my junk mail. Included a invoice that would not open due to old unsupported version of Word. I haven’t purchased anything from AA in a long time.

Hello

Mia Dejonckheere

Probably wasn’t an invoice, more likely malware if the supposed sender’s account was compromised or was just bring spoofed. I recommend fully scanning your computer with an anti-virus/anti-malware app. And don’t open attachments you aren’t expecting.

mepstein
I got it too. I figure they captured my email when I was a member at 914club. I've been hitting "remove" anytime I get an AA email but I guess they go back to the original list and try again.
mb911
Well I know that Mia is a real person but no idea on the emails though.
rmdinmd
To me it's simple. If I haven't ordered anything from someone I am not opening any invoices. If I have any doubts I call the "sender" to verify and use a number NOT supplied by the email in question. I even did that with emails from the company I worked for if it seemed strange.
fixer34
QUOTE(914werke @ Nov 15 2019, 09:31 PM) *

SPAM! I have received a bunch of messages from her smile.gif
Ive even let George know Mia's email had been compromised (yes shes a real person)

Her actual email account wasn't necessarily compromised, although changing the password is a good idea. Spoofing a sender email address is very easy. These clowns (that's a nice way of putting it...) get a list of good email addresses, then send an 'invoice past due', 'refund due', or similar attachment message pretending to be from someone you know. Opening it will at the least install malware on your machine that you may not even notice. At worst, it's ransomware and they encrypt all your files.
Unfortunately it's come down to 'never open an email attachment unless you are positively certain who sent it and why'. If ANY doubt, send a separate email, not reply, asking if they really sent it.
rhodyguy
Like the bogus cash 'awards' emails from Costco. Costco does NOT give money away.
Coondog
QUOTE(rjames @ Nov 15 2019, 09:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 15 2019, 07:04 PM) *

Hello

Mia Dejonckheere

Probably wasn’t an invoice, more likely malware if the supposed sender’s account was compromised or was just bring spoofed. I recommend fully scanning your computer with an anti-virus/anti-malware app. And don’t open attachments you aren’t expecting.

Opened it on my IPad so no worries.......... blink.gif
fixer34
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 17 2019, 11:06 AM) *

Like the bogus cash 'awards' emails from Costco. Costco does NOT give money away.

Nor does Microsoft, Facebook, the US Gov't, or Nigerian princes....

Just like in our car world, if it seems too good to be true...
gandalf_025
Has there been any response from AA about this..??
Can’t imagine “Someone” working there hasn’t
seen this thread.....?????
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.