Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint Jobs.. S.F. Bay Area... price range..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brian Mifsud
I planning to get the very few rust repairs I need to complete on my California only '76 done this summer. I'll need to weld in about 4 little panels mostly around the front trunk seal troughs, 1 at base of windshield, and 1 little one under my drivers seat. There's the new battery tray of course, but not much else.

I intend to do all the metal and pre-finish right up to paint. (all bondo, primer, etc).

What would be a reasonable price range in S.F. Bay Area to shoot the whole car (interior + engine compartment included) with a quality non-clear coat paint that will match the existing Sunflower Yellow?

Are we talking between $1000 - $1500?
$2000?

I'll do reassembly etc...

lapuwali
$3000 and up. Whole car spray jobs aren't cheap. Many shops really want a drivable car, so they can move it around easily.

Scott Yeaman, in PA, does quality work and is very much a 914 guy. He told me $3K 5 years ago to fully repaint a 914 (I do prep), and he made it clear he wasn't too willing to do the work, as whole car work doesn't pay as well as collision work.

A MAACO class job will be cheaper, but it's very much a get what you pay for kind of thing.
xitspd
ohmy.gif I had Jim East in Orange, CA paint two cars for me last year that were in excellent shape. $5000.00 each!
Brian Mifsud
oh oh... sad.gif

I'm severely tempted to say... "you gotta be kiddin"....

Buy paint/matierials $500 at worst.

pay slave to sand and clean car @ 10/hour.... $400 worst

Spend max 10 hours painting car..... Shop rate $60/hour... $600

Where am I going wrong in this??

Looks like I have an appointment with dad's workshop, compressor, and a "How to Paint a Car" book.

Dr. Roger
Interestingly enough, I was thinking the same thing...... huh.gif biggrin.gif
Brad Roberts
Hi Brian, wavey.gif Long time no speak.

Havent checked pricing lately ??

500$ might buy the primer. The EPA is kicking these guy's asses along with workmans comp.

And.. where in the bay area are you going to find a 10$ an hour guy ? Yeamans cheapest employee makes 15$ an hour and tapes and prep's cars.

B
McMark
Call Brandon at altissimo. 707-253-7246.

If you're willing to accept the final product as your own fault ( wink.gif ) he might be willing to throw some paint on it for around your price range. But any scratches, waves or bad prep is all on you. He won't accept responsibility for it for that price. If you go that route make sure you talk with him at each step so you can make sure you're using products that will be compatible with his paint. We've seen a lot of stuff go bad because people used any old primer that was on the shelf.
Lou W
You might want to take a look in Mexico, there have been a few members cars painted there.
914GT
A gallon of DuPont 2k Select urethane primer costs about $55. A quart of 2k activator costs about $35. A gallon of urethane base varies with the color, figure 100-150 bucks or so. Gallon of urethane reducer about $45. Gallon of DuPont Chromaclear is around $122. Activator $40. This is Arizona. No doubt CA is a lot higher or have restrictions. Most the labor in the prep work. How perfect do you want it? Paint job itself doesn't take all that much time. It's prep work and getting the surface nearly perfect that takes the time.
Lou W
I just got a quote from my paint supplier for my car, glad it's not red, it would be more. 1 gal of Du Pont Chromabase paint $207.30, 1 gal Chromabase High Temp VOC $49.75, 1 Gal Clear $141.30, 1 Qt of Mid Temp Activator $63.30, 2 Qt Valueshade 2K H/S Urth $61.10, and 2 Pts activator for 2K High Sol $71.30. Total with taxes $640.04. This does not include Primer, Sandpaper, etc.
914GT
QUOTE (Lou W @ Jul 1 2005, 05:52 PM)
I just got a quote from my paint supplier for my car, glad it's not red, it would be more. 1 gal of Du Pont Chromabase paint $207.30, 1 gal Chromabase High Temp VOC $49.75, 1 Gal Clear $141.30, 1 Qt of Mid Temp Activator $63.30, 2 Qt Valueshade 2K H/S Urth $61.10, and 2 Pts activator for 2K High Sol $71.30. Total with taxes $640.04. This does not include Primer, Sandpaper, etc.

Guess I won't complain about the prices here anymore.
TimT
I found some nice water born primers/colors that are priced nicely

all of the big time Mfgs make a waterbased/born primer/surfacer/sealer.

when you want to shoot some color use this paint

then finish it with some of the commercially available clears..

TimT
Ooops im talking diy here..

Lou W
914GT   Posted on Jul 1 2005, 06:07 PM
QUOTE (Lou W @ Jul 1 2005, 05:52 PM)

Guess I won't complain about the prices here anymore.

Just found my receipt for the primer, 1 gal Eavercoat Feather Fill w/activator $56.00.

I was considering trailering my car to Arizona for spraying at my friends house there. I was hoping use the Acrylic Enamels that I use to use, and that I could get the paint there, but now I'm not so sure I can. My old guns that I spent alot of money on in 1982 is now a good gun to use for "painting patio furniture" according to my paint supplier. ohmy.gif

They say that the "new" paints are easy to use, but, I sure feel alot more confidence using what I've used before. smile.gif
xitspd
QUOTE (Brian Mifsud @ Jul 1 2005, 04:17 PM)
oh oh... sad.gif

I'm severely tempted to say... "you gotta be kiddin"....

pay slave to sand and clean car @ 10/hour....   $400 worst

Spend max 10 hours painting car.....  Shop rate $60/hour... $600

Where am I going wrong in this??

Looks like I have an appointment with dad's workshop, compressor, and a "How to Paint a Car" book.

ohmy.gif It takes a lot of time and effort for the painter to take off the doors, trunk lids, bumpers, windshields, windshield washers and etc. It also costs to replace gaskets and moldings. Color sanding and clear coating are not cheap. Jim East does only Porsches and he does then right. It takes between three and four weeks to complete a job. Expensive, but the results are well worth it!
Brian Mifsud
Gee fellas.. reality checks hurt.... although...

I do appreciate Lou's totals... Total with taxes $640.04. This does not include Primer, Sandpaper, etc...
my estimate is off a bit, but I'm ballparking somewhere in the right area.. okay, a full grand for materials..... (gee, I won't complain anymore with the price of marine enamel at $45/gallon every 2 years......)

Hi Brad:
As far as where I've been:

I took a Porsche siesta that last 3 years and DIY on a complete rebuild and overhaul of my old wooden boat "The Spray". (Sold the 3.0 SC engine and Moto Guzzi, bought the boat).
Good Boatwrights these days when you can find them, bill out at $60/hour for the okay guys, and $100 for the guys with talent. ($10/hour for a slave to strip the paint and sand her, $25/hour for a Boatwright who learned the trade, then burned out on drugs and needs to be directed every minute......)

In a 5 week sprint we tore her (feminine/affectionate terminology to make me feel better about pissing all that money into the Bay) apart, reframed and retimbered her (200 board feet of QuarterSawn White Oak, 300 board feet of Alaskan Yellow Cedar) and refastened her (2,200 #12 x 2 1/2" bronze screws, 46 bronze 3/8 carriage bolts), replanked her, recaulked her, repainted her, replaced all the bronze valves/throughhulls.

In another 3 weeks I had the mast dropped back in her after a 15 year hiatus (previous owner died), and got her into the Master Mariners Annual Race around the bay (sort of like regional finals in Autocross, but for old leaky salty looking boats).

What's the point of dredging up all this non-Porsche content.. just to illustrate.. Yes, I'll spend the money on the pros, but only on the things I ABSOLUTELY CAN'T do my self.....

McMark:
Good point about compatibility on primers and paint.. I figured as much after watching the upteenth episode of "American Hotrod" and "Overhauling" ( my wife keeps lamenting that they don't do them Foreign cars.....)

My boatyard is over in San Rafael up the creek. Its hidden amongst lots of other things.. dozens of body shops... The guys in baseball caps line the streets in the morning by the hundreds everywhere... The EPA seems to look the other way over there.. or just can't find us.. Some of the boatwrights regularly repaint fiberglass sailboats and aluminum spars in the open in the yard using the most poisonous paint on the planet.. linear polyurethanes...

The only precautions they do is ask you to move your worktruck/car and "go get a beer for an hour while I'm spraying"......

I intend on doing all the welding, grinding and getting all the waves out of the body myself. I figure I can apply primer almost with anything, just as long as I can get a longboard to the surface afterward (gee, we use that longboard on boats also..... not much different than refinishing old leaky boats....)

anyhow, I'll track my progress and let you all know how things progress.

I've been quite inspired by some of the work done on Alien, and the turtle girl car...

Cheers..

Brian

914GT
Hey Brian

do you know John Urban (Urban Marine) in Woodacre?
Brian Mifsud
John Urban? Haven't been acquainted.. I see Woodacre is right up the road. I can't go anywhere without at least 6 feet of water to float in. At 6 tons, my boat isn't exactly trailerable, unless one owns a Peterbilt..

If he works on wooden boats, I'm sure he knows where the "Yacht Harbor" is (whose name will remain anonymous to keep out little secret piece of DIY heaven preserved...).

914GT
John works out of a boat yard in Sausalito, mostly gas and diesel. He's an interesting character, heard some great boat stories. Wife works out at the redwood forest park west of San Rafael (Sam Taylor Park?). Was just up there visiting them 2 weeks ago. Wouldn't mind being there this weekend (110 here). Drove out to the park and wish I had my 914. Great winding road through the hills and big trees.
jonwatts
QUOTE (TimT @ Jul 1 2005, 06:40 PM)
I found some nice water born primers/colors that are priced nicely

all of the big time Mfgs make a waterbased/born primer/surfacer/sealer.

when you want to shoot some color use this paint

then finish it with some of the commercially available clears..

Tim, I'm a little confused about auto-air colors. Can you not mix the paint to match factory paint codes?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.