Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help Indentifying CV’s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gearup
Hello Gents,
I was trying to identify what CV’s were on my axles. The axles were used with a flipped 915 V8 conversion. They look almost new but I’m trying to see if they are “heavy duty”? Previous owner of the items said they were. I put the number into google and it came back with nothing. The numbers and words of the CV are as follows:

7153 120198 008 LOBRO 2293 W GERMANY

They aren’t spaced out like this but it’s easier to read. Anyone who can shed like on what CV’s I have (930 or whatever) I would REALLY appreciate any input.

Thanks Mucho! BrettClick to view attachment
Gearup
Click to view attachment
FL000
Maybe someone else can help from the part number you posted, but I used the following website to identify the type II VW bus CV joints I have: http://blindchickenracing.com/How_to/CVJoi..._joints_101.htm

With the axles not installed you could make a few measurements and narrow it down pretty quickly.
914Sixer
If the axles are 33 splines the CV's are VW Bus or Porsche 924/944/968. All the CV's will be 100mm . Porsche 911/930 used 28 spline axles. ANY of the above is HD compared to the stock 914 94mm CV. Axle length should be 20.25 inches.
sixnotfour
dry.gif
Mark Henry
Is this for a 4 bolt VW or a 5 bolt Porsche pattern?

The SAW (Sway A Way) axle has the part number stamped on one end.
The SAW axles are directional, the part number and stamp need to go towards the outside and can only twist in the one direction.

Gearup
The whole package came out of a 914 with a flipped 915 and 5 lug Fuchs, 911 3.5” struts. I will count the splines.
Gearup
Ok..... I looked at the other side and saw that the CV had a marking of 33. I will try and count the splines but I think the gentleman above said 33 was 944. Would that be considered quite a bit stronger? I am putting together the 915, Patrick Motorsport Cableshifter, Axles, Heavy Duty Clutch Assembling, and everything needed to bolt into a 914. Engine, tranny mounts etc. I didn’t want to represent the Axles as heavy duty unless I was sure. I do remember talking to the PO and him stating they were but want to be sure.Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
"Heavy Duty" is a relative term. Lobro is not the first name I think of when looking for heavy duty CV's. HD Cv's should be 108mm w/28 spline.

If you really want HD CV's with a lifetime warranty... Here's what I run. I actually run the non-plunging version with sliding axles. The link below will take you to the type for your axles (plunging), assuming 28 splines.

https://www.rcvperformance.com/ultimate-plu...-28-spline.html
Gearup
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 17 2019, 08:35 AM) *

"Heavy Duty" is a relative term. Lobro is not the first name I think of when looking for heavy duty CV's. HD Cv's should be 108mm w/28 spline.

If you really want HD CV's with a lifetime warranty... Here's what I run. I actually run the non-plunging version with sliding axles. The link below will take you to the type for your axles (plunging), assuming 28 splines.

https://www.rcvperformance.com/ultimate-plu...-28-spline.html

I bought a LS1 and a Boxster 6 speed. Very expensive kits to purchase unfortunately. I will use Renegade’s axles and kits for that. I just wanted to identify what I have so when I put the whole 915 install kit on here I can represent it accurately.
Mike Bellis
My Boxster 6 speed has 108mm CV's and I use 108mm outer stubs. I run 2 different length axles since the diff is offset by an inch. I decided to go with sliding axles and non-plunging CV's because they can go up to a 45° angle under power. I'll never need that much and with a lifetime warranty, I doubt they'll ever break. It's a one time investment compared to when I had a V8 and broke a 914 axle weekly.
Mark Henry
Looking at it I say it's a 108mm hubs and stubs which will fit an early 915.
So they likely are the 108mm CV ('69 - '75.5) which are (were?) hard to find, but the 108mm CV for the G50 ('85.5 - '89) fits with slight mod. The SAW axles would round out the package for a 914, if the SAW axles are marked 2420 on the end I should be correct.

It's what I have on my 914.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.