Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AAR valve
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ian Stott
Having trouble sourcing a new or good used AAR valve, all help much appreciated. Can they be reconditioned?

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
pete000
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Nov 18 2019, 02:17 PM) *

Having trouble sourcing a new or good used AAR valve, all help much appreciated. Can they be reconditioned?

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

Soak it in a cup of kerosene for a couple days, then give it a couple taps and blow it out. It usually frees them up for years of sitting stuck. Easy to bench test it after to verify its working properly by timing the valve operation.
Ian Stott
QUOTE(pete000 @ Nov 18 2019, 06:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Nov 18 2019, 02:17 PM) *

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

Soak it in a cup of kerosene for a couple days, then give it a couple taps and blow it out. It usually frees them up for years of sitting stuck. Easy to bench test it after to verify its working properly by timing the valve operation.

Thanks
Ian Stott
OK, I was calling it the wrong thing! It is sometimes called a decelleration valve, mine needs replacing but my searches come up as it being no longer available, can it be reconditioned?

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
BeatNavy
Pretty much the same procedure. Soak it in a penetrant of your choice. Blow it out with compressed air (carefully). You can test it with a vacuum pump.
jcd914
Check it with a vacuum pump at the small nipple and see if it holds vacuum and whether the valve opens when you apply vacuum.

They have a rubber diaphragm so you need to be careful what you use to try to clean them as some solvents or oils will break down the rubber.

Put a WTB ad in the classifieds, there are working used one out there.

Jim
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I agree, subject to blow by and then the diaphragm rusts shut

\
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Nov 19 2019, 05:55 AM) *

Pretty much the same procedure. Soak it in a penetrant of your choice. Blow it out with compressed air (carefully). You can test it with a vacuum pump.
Ian Stott
Posted in the WTB section, hope someone responds! Going to do the soaking in kerosene method as advised by other members, will post my results.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.