Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions for /4 oil cooler install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Olympic 914
Will be gathering parts to install a rear mounted oil cooler over the winter.

Planning on using a Setrab 19 row cooler with fan, Setrab cooler bypass and a sandwich adapter.

Couple questions.

1. What would be the best size lines to run. was planning on AN-10 fittings and 5/8 line. these will be short runs since its rear mounted. would AN-8 and 1/2 line be better ?

2. Thinking of using a 190 deg switch to trigger the fan but also considering a 200 deg switch. Since any moisture in the oil will not burn off until 212

3. Stainless braid lines or ??

mepstein
Stainless is super easy if you use a Koul tool. The advantage of SS line and AN fittings is they are available anywhere. Water boils at 212 but still evaporates at lower temps. Your clothes dryer doesn't get to 212 but still dries your clothes.
bdstone914
@Olympic 914

date='Nov 18 2019, 06:20 PM' post='2763143']
Will be gathering parts to install a rear mounted oil cooler over the winter.

Planning on using a Setrab 19 row cooler with fan, Setrab cooler bypass and a sandwich adapter.

Couple questions.

1. What would be the best size lines to run. was planning on AN-10 fittings and 5/8 line. these will be short runs since its rear mounted. would AN-8 and 1/2 line be better ?

2. Thinking of using a 190 deg switch to trigger the fan but also considering a 200 deg switch. Since any moisture in the oil will not burn off until 212

3. Stainless braid lines or ??
[/quote]

1. AN-8 is sufficient for a stock type 914 motor. Smaller hose has more pressure drop which reduces flow and cooling. Larger hose is ok but may not be needed.

2 I would not depend on a surface mounted switch. Do you have an oil temp gauge?
If not I would add one to see if the setup is effective.
Minimal oil temp is 160. It does not need to be to 212 to boil. Water vaporizes faster with heat.

3. Yes stainless is a stronger hose. Keep all hose at least 6 inches away from high heat if possible. Even SS is a metal covering and the rubber under it aged faster with heat.

4. And really the first question is why do you believe you need an oil cooler ?

Bruce
Olympic 914
Engine is a 2056 and I have watched the temps get into 250s usually only in the summer.

Was going to use a in the oil line temp switch to trigger the fan.

I do have a Dakota digital oil temp gauge.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.