Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Problem with new fuse board
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
Headlights were stuck in the up position, wipers didn't work and a bunch of other stuff. James came to the rescue and here's what he found

The board I had purchased years ago with more modern fuses had some issues.

Click to view attachment

When he pulled apart the fuse holders we found that the links between fuses with shared power leads were connected with braided wire. The wire wasn't soldered
to the fuse holder, it was just pressed between the plate and the plastic shell.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

and when the braided wire melted into the plastic it created intermittent breaks in the power

Click to view attachment

So we put in an OEM unit and all is well again
mepstein
Was that the Engman board?
@PanelBilly
porschetub
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 20 2019, 05:00 PM) *

Was that the Engman board?
@PanelBilly

Don't know but thats stromberg.gif ,not a JWest one.
914werke
Nice sleuthing!
PanelBilly
I think it was an Engman
sixnotfour
agree.gif
Ian Stott
I bought and installed the JWest board quite a few years ago, one of the best things you can do, in my opinion. Never had a problem since.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
mepstein
I know the engman boards had an issue with shorts from the board to the body.
VaccaRabite
I had an Engman board with issues. Probably still have it. I forget which board I have in the car now but it works great and is not the stock board.

Zach
PanelBilly
This board worked fine for over a year until one day in the rain when the wipers stopped!
mepstein
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Nov 20 2019, 11:18 AM) *

I had an Engman board with issues. Probably still have it. I forget which board I have in the car now but it works great and is not the stock board.

Zach

Must be JWest. They are very good.
barefoot
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Nov 19 2019, 10:54 PM) *

Headlights were stuck in the up position, wipers didn't work and a bunch of other stuff. James came to the rescue and here's what he found

The board I had purchased years ago with more modern fuses had some issues.

When he pulled apart the fuse holders we found that the links between fuses with shared power leads were connected with braided wire. The wire wasn't soldered
to the fuse holder, it was just pressed between the plate and the plastic shell.

and when the braided wire melted into the plastic it created intermittent breaks in the power

So we put in an OEM unit and all is well again

Those intermittent issues are the most exasperating issues to deal with, glad you were able to sort them out, great detective work !!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.