Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: Subaru 5MT prices
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThePaintedMan
Hello gents,

Looking for a 5MT locally, not sure what version to get (pull-type or push-type), but mostly not sure what they go for. Looks like $500 is about the going rate, but I think Dylan and other have mentioned that they can be had cheaper than that. What say ye?

Thanks,
George
mepstein
I think I paid $300 for trans, axles and starter but I got lucky when a guy was parting out his car after an accident. Zach/Vacca Rabbit actually found me the deal since I don't surf the Suby forums. It was an hour away which was another bonus.

If you find one nearby, don't negotiate over the phone, show up with cash and see what you can do.
VaccaRabite
The 5MT boxes are plentiful and basically all the same
All the new WRXs (since 2015) have 6 gears instead of 5, and those boxes are becoming commonplace now too. That said, I do not know if the flange and starter for the new 2.0DIT engines is the same as the 2.5 engines that were used for EVERYTHING prior to 2015 (and are still used on the current gen STi).

Zach
Chi-town
The cable shifted 6 speed (in a 5 speed case) is probably one of the worst transmissions I've ever driven. It was an idea stolen from an old JDM tuning company called Zerosports when they did it back in the mid-late 90's.

For 5 speed you'll want to stay 99'+ as these are phase 2 boxes and have many updated parts.

Stay away from the JDM boxes as they use different parts most of the time and they can be difficult to source.

There's 4 different final drive ratios available 4.44, 4.11, 3.90, 3.70.
Depending on how/where you plan on driving it will influence your choice.

There is a multitude of 1-5 ratios, once again your use will dictate which is best for your car.

No front factory LSD available in the US 5mt, very rare in JDM boxes

Prices vary depending on what you want. Basic non-turbo boxes range anywhere between $250-500, turbo boxes can go anywhere between $500-1500 depending on condition.

Be prepared to have it opened up and inspected by someone knowledgeable with Subaru transmissions as syncro wear and fork pad wear can be an issue depending on how it was driven.
strawman
A great resource for Suby transaxles can be found at:

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread....ull=1#post97665
914forme
Aftermarket LSDs are not hard to find but they will cost you as much or more than the box. I have an OBX unit sitting in the box, all blueprinted and hardware updated, I would part company with if you needed one.

Nice thing unlike the 901, it is not as hard to swap out the diff and get it setup correctly.

I paid $400 for mine in 2014 icon8.gif man that has been a long time.
Chi-town
Be careful with the newer OBX LSD for the Subaru 5mt, they have had issues with axle stub fitment
914forme
I can see that though as in my thread I documented all I did to make it better than when it came to me. Piss poor machining, flashing every where, gears not surfaced, and then the lack of quality hardware to get the price out the door low low low. Luckily all can be corrected with a bit of elbow grease and some screwy.gif helps also.

Mines been around for a while sad.gif , but good to know. Subaru gears also sells their own unit, and the list goes on and on.
Chi-town
Yeah I'm not sure when the output spline thing started with OBX, I think it was fairly recently.

I have a KAAZ plated LSD in mine and it's set up fairly light as the car doesn't need a super aggressive lock.

I would recommend a Quaife or Subarugears for most street cars
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.